Baby hungry after breastfeeding

Hi mummies! I’ve been trying to let my baby (26 days old) latch on me. He will suckle on/off and doze off to sleep then wakes up to suckle after a few seconds. He will latch for 30-45 mins on one side before pushing me away and dozing off to sleep. However, he wakes up crying for more milk after 15 mins and I am also able to pump out milk on the same side after that (slightly lesser than usual - if I’m just pumping without latching beforehand). Why is my baby not satisfied after the breastfeeding all the time?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! It sounds like you're going through a challenging time with your little one. First of all, congratulations on your new baby! It's not uncommon for newborns to want to nurse frequently, especially during growth spurts. Your baby's behavior of latching, suckling, and then falling asleep before waking up to nurse again is quite normal. Babies have small stomachs and breast milk is easily digested, so they need to feed often. One possible reason your baby may not be satisfied after breastfeeding is that he might not be getting enough hindmilk, which is the rich, creamy milk that comes after the foremilk. This can happen if your baby only feeds for a short time on each side. To ensure your baby gets enough hindmilk, try to encourage him to nurse for longer periods on each breast, allowing him to fully empty one breast before offering the other. Another possibility is that your baby is going through a growth spurt and simply needs more milk than usual. During these times, babies may nurse more frequently to increase your milk supply to meet their growing needs. It's important to respond to your baby's cues and nurse on demand to ensure he's getting enough milk. It's great that you're able to pump out milk after your baby nurses, but keep in mind that the amount you pump may not always reflect the amount of milk your baby is getting while nursing. Babies are much more effective at removing milk from the breast than a pump, so don't worry too much if you're pumping slightly less than usual after a feeding session. Lastly, make sure to check your baby's latch to ensure he's effectively transferring milk. A poor latch can result in inefficient milk transfer, leading to your baby feeling hungry even after nursing. Remember, every baby is different, and it's okay to seek support from a lactation consultant or a healthcare professional if you're feeling unsure. Hang in there, mama, you're doing a great job! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more