Wasting my BREASTMILK

Hi mummies, I just need someone to hear me rant without judging or anything. My in laws and husband have been wasting my breastmilk as if it’s free (yea free because it came from my boobs) My FIL poured 140ml of breastmilk into unwashed bottle thinking it was ok for baby to drink and normally my baby only drink about 80-100ml every feed so I don’t understand why he must pour out so much breastmilk. FYI, baby can get diarrhea from breastmilk if it have been left out for too long. My husband left my bag of breastmilk in room temperature overnight (before dinner till the next day lunch then he remembered) FYI, I latch my baby at night. My MIL would pour more than what baby can drink and when baby doesn’t finish she will try her luck again and again forcing my baby to finish it. Sometimes I’ll just tell her to pour it away when it have been out for too long. If not she would just pour in new breastmilk into the old breastmilk and feed baby again at the next feed which will make baby sick. FYI, she didn’t breastfeed her own kids. She would even tell me “never mind, got a lot breastmilk” People call breastmilk a liquid gold for a reason. Breastfeeding mums would even cry over spilt breast milk yet I don’t understand how can they just waste my breastmilk like this even after telling them so many times how precious it is.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I know how you feel. I think as for the grandparents sometimes they just want to make sure the baby drinks more? Like they’re afraid if baby is hungry or lack of milk. My MIL has been asking me to increase his milk intake as if I’m stingy with my milk. But the issue is he doesn’t drink that much! Why would I waste it? What I tend to do is, I prepare his milk in his bottles and keep it in the fridge. My baby has about 4 bottles. So anytime anyone wants to feed the baby, they just take the already prepared bottle and heat up. Plus it’s easier, cause sometimes ure carrying baby one hand, and it could be messy to pour while holding baby.

Read more
TapFluencer

I think you have to explain to them very important don't keep old BM and mix. actually BM is just like normal milk they turn sour and spoil. maybe you should keep one bottle left it for whole day outside and open right Infront of them the next day. the spoil smell is super strong to let them understand this point. as for wastage I think you can let them know if you don't help me save these BM end up I have to buy FM would you all chip in and buy? maybe you can try this method she they will understand better.

Read more
VIP Member

This is so infuriating! Why are they wasting all the liquid gold??? Is it possible for you to apportion the milk yourself and just let them heat up? Talk to your husband and let him know how you feel! Tell him to imagine if that’s formula milk, would they waste your milk like that?

4y ago

He know how I feel about it but he doesn’t do anything. Maybe I should try apportioning the milk myself but I know they would tell me that the milk is not enough and try to do it their way like pouring more and feed baby when I’m not around

VIP Member

Oh my i can understand how you feel. Hugs. I hate it when my family (in laws and mine) keep telling me “aiya mama milk is free anyway!”. Perhaps u can try to proportion it and packed it according to your LO portion so that they wont give more and waste it.

Wow you explained at least. I completely lost it with my hubby. To be honest even if you tell your hubby or grandparents. They sometimes do not take you seriously. Sometimes you have to lose it or break down then they realize okay maybe they went too far

Oh dear , I think u should place your bm into bottles to prevent wastage .

VIP Member

Your milk is more precious and nutritious than formula milk!

Pack them in the amount to be given to baby

Hugzzzzzz