Hi mummies, how do you train your little one to sleep through the night?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No need for sleep training if you are able to inculcate good sleeping habits from the moment she's born. In a nutshell, have a bedtime and nap routine. When she's tired or due for night sleep, swaddle your 0-2/3MO and put her down drowsy but awake. Let her practice sleeping on her own. By 4MO, babies are capable of sleeping 11 hours overnight with just one to two night feeds. I had to sleep train (he soothes himself to sleep through sucking of his fingers) my boy at 4MO because he was waking up almost every 1-2h in the night (I used to latch him or pat him to sleep) which pretty much means a sleep deprived baby. Then, he slept from 7PM to 6ish AM with one night latch at 11PM (gradually brought forward to 8PM and then no more). By 6MO, he was able to sleep for 11-12.5h without night feeds mostly. Do check out this website for the minimum hours of night sleep your baby should be getting: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/American-Academy-of-Pediatrics-Supports-Childhood-Sleep-Guidelines.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token You can read up on Weissbluth's method of controlled crying, fading method, or pick up/put down and choose a method that you are comfortable with.

Read more