Hello mummies, At how old do you all let your LO watch tv ( kids show , cartoon ) My son is 10 months old and there's nothing much for him to do as I am working and he's all alone with my helper . Can he watch tv? Thanks :)

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We started at 1 year. 10 months really too young. Btw, the AAP has the following position on babies watching television: “Children of all ages are constantly learning new things. The first 2 years of life are especially important in the growth and development of your child’s brain. During this time, children need good, positive interaction with other children and adults. Too much television can negatively affect early brain development. This is especially true at younger ages, when learning to talk and play with others is so important. Until more research is done about the effects of TV on very young children, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not recommend television for children age 2 or younger. For older children, the Academy recommends no more than 1 to 2 hours per day of educational, nonviolent programs. “

Read more

With moderation i would say. To us it maybe boring but not for a tiny baby in such a huge world. They need to learn to self entertain. I doubt you want your child to grow up being glued to the television or some other electronic device. These days we forget the back to basics theory.

Stick to 2 yr no tv screen ... it's really Better for child's brain development as the screen or cartoon is too fast for babies to capture all the motions... like other moms suggest give him toys to play or some colourful books let him discover pictures like that rather than tv

At home - My boy was only allowed screen time after he turned 2 years old. But when he was at the nanny's house - I wasn't sure if the nanny let him to watch tv. But to me - I decided not to be so imposing because I would rather she take good care of my boy =)

4y ago

Same here. I am quite strict about screen times for my baby. But he is at his nanny's place as inam working. I am also sure he watches tv... i did mention to limit the time. But like you, i also didnt want to impose too much on her. What a dilema right.

Some experts say no screen time until 2 years old, but honestly I feel its hard this day and age. If you do want to let you LO watch TV then switch on something age appropriate like babytv or nursery rhymes :)

Hey mama, my baby at 10 months used to love stacking toys and cups. Maybe can consider buying more toys? My baby also enjoyed his walker at that time and at about 12 months he was very fascinated with lego

My LO is 9.5 Mths I have not started tv for him. But provided him with lotsa toys for his to self entertain. We seldom on the tv to begin with n now even when we on the tv he isn't interested at all

VIP Member

I would allow but that's me, depends on your comfort level. You can also try a few baby activity apps, e.g. babysparks or kinedu, to get ideas on how to engage baby on a daily basis.

Super Mum

The guideline is for 18 months and above, but I guess it’s dependent on you. At 10 months, my LO was given toys and books, and listened to the radio. Haha.

Everything in moderation, but I let my kids have 1 hour of TV time Everyday only, but more time on the weekends. And my kids love Tayo actually