Clogged milk ducts

How do you mummies sleep with clogged milk ducts? I always experience it quite often and its so painful to the point that i cannot sleep. It affects my rest and also sleep at night. My mind wont be at ease cus it hurts so bad.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Sorry to hear that, blocked ducts shouldn't happen so often and if its so painful it could be mastitis, have you checked with a gynae/LC? Sometimes you might need to take antibiotics to get rid of it. Try to pump/latch at least once at night. If you have oversupply, applying cold cabbage leaf to your breasts might help (though it may reduce your supply also)

Read more
4y ago

Not so sure if it is mastitis, as i dont have flu/fever and it does go away after a day or 2. But it is recurring quite often, and its really quite annoting since i do express my milk out regularly. It sucks esp if it happens at night cus the pain is so unbearable that i cant sleep.

Use hot compress, massage and apply pressure on the lumps when pump. I also taking lecithin to help with the clogged milk ducts but I find most effective is to pump round the clock. I wake up twice at night to pump. Either my baby or my boobs will wake me up!

4y ago

Yeah thats true. Thank u for helping!

Had the same experience. Had to get the Malay massage lady to help massage until the clogs are cleared. All the other methods in the “textbook” don’t work for me - own massage, warm shower, warm cold compression, latching, pumping.

4y ago

Its alright, i massaged my boobs to express any milk and emptied it after pumping. And yes i saw that supplement from legendairy, but didnt purchase it yet. Thank u for helping. Its better now, really hope the clogs wont come back!

Pump.. no choice . Slowly drag the interval of pumping. Then can rest abit more. Lavie massager also works

VIP Member

Apply a heating pad or warm cloth for 20 minutes at a time. Take care!

Super Mum

My wife take sunflower lecithin religiously and it helps

4y ago

Read up on that too... yet to purchase one to try tho. Thanks for the suggestion.

VIP Member

I’ll force myself to wake up to pump

4y ago

Yes i will do that. But if the pain still persists, i cant even sleep. No sleeping position is comfortable since my boobs will still hurt so bad.

VIP Member

Pump it out.