Hi any mommies here have a difficult and challenging time to wean lo? My lo is already 1yo and only at 11mo then start to accept porridge and i notice she really loves egg in her porridge so i cook porridge w egg n spinach. However whenever i try to into new ingredients into her porridge she will reject. It is really getting frustrating to feed her. Also it can take 1hr to on off feed her..sometimes she dont want (i finish up the porridge) sometimes she wants it again (have to go scoop again). I really dont know what she wants..sometimes she refused n i let her taste abit and she wants it again. So sometimes i really almost resort to force feeding. She is obviously hungry but she just wans to be fed on/off!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Don't fret, mummy. My take is always kids got a lot of pattern one. She is still young and exploring tastes and textures thus the fussiness. Just try to take it at her pace. My girl is 16 months old. At 11 months old she rejected her bottle so I've been spoon feeding her milk ever since. She also started to reject porridge so we let her have rice instead. She is incredibly fussy during meal time and it's like going to battle. Must have lots of distraction just to finish her meal. I just do things at her pace. If she refuses to eat then I top up with milk. One thing though, I hate whining so I tell her to indicate/tell me what she wants instead of whining. Very simple logic: 1) No one can understand what you want when you whine. 2) Whining gets on people's nerves. So if halfway she starts to fuss, I will ask her simple questions like "Are you full?" or "Do you want milk instead?" She either nods or shakes her head. She pats her tummy if she's full.

Read more

how about trying to add a lesser amount of the new food. in that way it's not too overwhelming. your lo is still young it's very normal for them to have so many new pattern.

I'm wondering if this applies to spinach only? It takes more then once to introduce a new food to a child before them taking well to it. Do not give up.

VIP Member

have you tried doing baby led weaning? Give her a few chunks of egg for her to hold and eat. while eating,you feed her the porridge

Is it due to texture? Maybe u try to change maybe spinach to another leafy veg? Then slowly change again?

maybe you add marmite to porridge. my 1yo son will finish porridge quickly than before.