My mil thinks she can only handle her son and whole house. She only knows his likes and dislikes. And she does all the work in home. She washes his son clothes, does kitchen work, everything. My husband says m not doing anything behaving as a guest. I too feel like that. But the fact is she is not giving chance for me. Even if I want to take anything, she only knows where it is. But my husband says my mom is getting old, so u take care all of us. How do I handle this sitn. How 'll i make him understand that she is not giving chance? My husband keeps on saying that u didn't even making a cup of tea for me. Sometimes I feel happy that I don want to do any work. But sometimes I feel m staying in this house as guest. Really I don't feel like my home.

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I guess, you need to talk to your husband if your MIL is not getting what you mean to say or intentionally do not want you to get into her territory. You make your husband understand that you are more than happy to participate in the day today functioning of the home but your mother is not letting me. I think your husband will be able to put forward your point better. Also, when he is on off, then in front of him, offer to help or cook, and then see how your MIL behaves. And if that time also she will make excuses for not letting you work, your husband will not want any proof from you that you do not shy away from work and it is his mother who doesn't let you participate. And he will then handle the situation himself. Or the best is, you can divide work, for example, let MIL do morning cooking and you do evening cooking and this way you both will not be bothered by each other and can enjoy the freedom too.

Read more