As many people suggest that parents should become friends once their kids enter teens. Do you think it is required?

25 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes. But a special kind of friend who still have to set rules and be tough when need to. They sometimes need someone to set boundaries for them or use their parents as an excuse for not wanting to join in some activity. So it's a transition from authoritative to more friendly because at the end of the teens it's the adulthood and U definitely need to be friends with them. I won't say be friends overnight but gradually? See ur child's maturity and his appetite for more dangerous stuff. Set some ground rules too

Read more

Yes, but only till certain extent! As a parent your impression on your kids should be someone who would understand their feelings and help them solve their problems when required. But such should not go to an extent where they start treating you like actual friends and disrespect you in situations. There should be a good balance :)

Read more

I have a teen and me and my husband are pretty friendly with him. He shares everything with us. But this friendliness has always been there and not just in teens. If the parents are not friendly, the kids won't share and communicate. Teenage is a very delicate age and the parents should remain approachable.

Read more

In my opinion, it is required of parents to be friends with their teenaged kids if they want to be updated of their activities, their friend circle and the likes. Without kids confiding in them, it is difficult for parents to keep a tab on what they are doing when not at home.

TapFluencer

Parents are parents first and foremost then friends of their kids. Specially for teens, there has to be an open communication where they feel Safe to share their thoughts and feelings with you. But you still need to be firm with your guidelines and in disciplining them

A parent should maintain a friendly relationship with the child. The child should feel confident and comfortable to approach you with any questions or doubts or complications they maybe facing and you will always be in the know of what they are upto.

Yes to a certain extent, but do keep in mind you’re still their parents and sometimes if they misbehave or made a mistaken, that is when your parental side has to step in

Yes, without a doubt. Come on, what century are we in right now. Its the modern era! With that said we can have a good friend relationship with limits as well.

Yes absolutely. As kids enter teens it is a turbulent time for them. It is important as parents to become friends and understand them instead of berating them.

yes, what's the harm? in fact, if you behave as parents as well as friends with your teens, it will make it easier for your teen to communicate with you.