I've noticed that Filipino kids nowadays often greet their parents casually (either by saying "Hello Mama/Papa" or hugging and kissing them on the cheeks). I wonder, do you still practice giving "mano" to the elders and teach your kids to do the same as a sign of respect? Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/194358540144179051/

Post image
38 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply
VIP Member

We still practice such in our family - both mother and father side. But it's weird that my sibs and I just do that traditional gesture to all our aunts, uncles, lolos and lolas but not to our parents themselves. I dunno what happened but we used to do that to them as well like up until high school? But just when we became older, we just hug and kiss them. Anyway, it's still a sign of respect and I guess it even helps me express my feelings towards them without the need to say those 3 "cheesy" words - a more intimate gesture I can say. But to preserve the tradition and to not let my daughter grow skeptical towards doing it to our relatives (cos my mom will for sure ask her to do so to her other lolos and lolas in the province) I already taught her how to do it as early as when she was 8 mons old and yes, she learned. ;)

Magbasa pa