hungry newborn

issit normal for a formula fed newborn to be hungry almost every 1.5h?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Found this info, hopes it helps!: A newbornshould feed a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours. That means some might be going every 3 hours and others will be feeding more frequently than 2 hourly. Some babies may feed every 10 minutes every hour.

VIP Member

A newborn should feed a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours. That means some might be going every 3 hours and others will be feeding more frequently than 2 hourly. Some babies may feed every 10 minutes every hour.

VIP Member

Newborn has tiny stomach. Thus frequent feeds. However, also have to depends on your baby intake. Mine back from hospital drink 30ml and become hungry every 1 hour+ Up the intake by 10ml and can last her to 2 hours

Super Mum

Yes. When they’re newborn, just feed on demand first. The timing can be dragged out when they are older

4y ago

Yes. Baby’s stomach has a fixed capacity, which grows over time. Generally the first 2 weeks, you might be able to feed about 30ml each time, which then increases to 45-60ml in the 3rd and 4th week. Look for cues that baby’s full, burp baby frequently while/after feeding. If baby’s regurgitating milk or rejecting the milk, stop feeding. If baby is crying/fussing, there are many other reasons other than hunger, so keep going through the cycle of all the possible reasons if you think that baby’s not hungry. You’ll also learn the hunger cues for your baby and respond to that better as you watch your little one grow.

thanks! Will feed him on demand. previously was worried if he will get overfed.

Yes, newborns have a very tiny stomach so they need to be fed constantly.

VIP Member

yes normal. mine ranging 1-4hrly. doctor said its normal.

Mine juz 2 month 160ml every hrs Even he newborn too 70ml

VIP Member

Yes. Mine fed every hour. No worry just don't overfeed

Super Mum

Yes, feed on demand for new-born :)