Introducing pacifier to a newborn. Yay or nay?

42 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

All my 3 kids used pacifier and I weaned them off when they were about 18mths. I would say that it was a life saver for me cos it helped them fall asleep faster. I didn't want them to use me as a pacifier and comfort nurse themselves to sleep so the pacifier helped. It helps to calm them down when they are cranky too. I guess I was lucky that they did not have nipple confusion. I only used it for sleep and if they are cranky and crying non stop. I remove it during normal awake time so that they are not so reliant on it.

Read more

I am my babies' human pacifier. No offense to others but I do not like the idea of giving pacifier for babies because I feel I just stucking something onto their mouth to prevent crying. Babies are human and have the right to cry and we can find other ways to soothe them, e.g. cuddles and hugs. But that was during the time I am a sahm with my kids. In future for my no.3, my mil will be the baby's care taker, and if she is more comfortable to offer pacifier, I will let her do so since I place my baby with her.

Read more

My friend decided to use it for her baby after she read that it may help in decreasing the risk of SIDS. However, she tries to limit the use because she is worried that she will have a hard time weaning her girl off it if she becomes too reliant on it. For now, she only gives it to her baby during sleep time and when she is really too busy to comfort her (such as when she is driving). It does offer a good break because her girl really enjoys suckling for comfort.

Read more
VIP Member

Wait until breastfeeding has been established. This could take days or weeks. Give the pacifier when the bottle or both breasts are drained, if your baby still wants to suck. Using pacifiers only at sleep times avoids many of the problems linked to its use. Also, don’t hold the pacifier down in the baby’s mouth to help her nod off. If the baby pops it out, which they always do, don’t pop it back in if they aren’t crying for it.

Read more

Nay for me. Giving pacifiers to young, breastfeeding babies often leads to nipple confusion. Baby tries to use the bottle-feeding technique on the breast and has difficulty latching-on and sucking. Baby gets very frustrated, and so does mother. Nipple confusion can even lead to baby refusing the breast. I would only offer my son pacifier only when I am sure that I wouldn't be breastfeeding which was 2 months for me personally.

Read more

Don't do it my son was 3yrs old and he always wanted his pacifier and it's going to take you a lot of trouble to take him or her out of it its better to breastfeed or his bottle than a pacifier

My baby was tongue tied and we couldn't use one for a few weeks. He still doesnt like it but it helps my in laws watching him when he gets fussy and wants to suck on a boob lol

Yay My son only used pacifier when he is going to sleep or to take a nap when he's asleep I'll just take it out from his mouth. Now he's 3yrs old he stop using it anymore.

Sure why not? As long as can help to ease & calm your LO to sleep and get quiet, I don’t see why. If not why is it called a pacifier and not irritat-ier? Lolz!

Before I had my little monkey, I said no. Now I realise there are times when the pacifier is a life saver and I am happy his dad introduced it to him.