Yao Lan for baby

Yao Lan for infant? Yay or nay?

39 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The safety of the yaolan or sarong buaian has become an issue in recent years, with anecdotal reports of falls or injuries. But there seems to be little recent research done about the safety of the yao lan. A small 1997 Singapore study did document cases of head injuries in children who had fallen out of the yao lan while they were sleeping, playing or feeding. There were no fatalities but the study concluded that there is a potential for serious injuries. Apparently a child safety leaflet from the KK Women's and Children's Hospital warned against vigorous rocking of the baby hammock as it can cause internal brain bleeding. I mean most of us probably grew up using the yaolan or baby hammock, at least I did, and it was okay but accidents can happen to anyone. I'd say, yes to using it but don't be over reliant on it. http://www.babycenter.com.my/a1023333/baby-hammock

Read more

Nay. Personally, I do not like the idea of my baby to sleep in yao lan for the reasons Jamie has mentioned. Also, I am a #paranoidmummy. I'd constantly worrying that my son is off the ground. He's an active baby; what if he gets overexcited and topples the entire thing over? And I don't like that the yao lan is covered, so my baby wouldn't be in view if I was further away. And what if baby is so used to the bouncing motion that when he outgrows it, he wants to be put to sleep that way? My back would break haha.

Read more
VIP Member

I'd go with Nay. Though many parents use sarong cradles, it is actually very unsafe for infants as it does not provide proper head and neck support. Babies should sleep on firm and hard surfaces and a yao lan can obstruct the baby's breathing because its chin is close to its chest. There's also a risk of your baby falling out of the cradle. Lastly, it takes up way too much space as compared to a rocking crib. http://sg.theasianparent.com/avoid-car-seats-and-sitting-devices-for-baby-sleep/

Read more

Nay. Another thing to wean off. Newborn are blank piece of paper, the more things u introduce, the more they are dependent on & more to wean . I feel they shld learn to slp in on bed. You can give soother, pacifier etc for slp, for me yaolan is a big no .

VIP Member

I just asked my PD about this today and he said try not to use the yaolan. It's not good for babies development and baby will have risk for falls. Plus baby will get too used to rocking - which is not sustainable. So best not to start the habit.

VIP Member

Really depends - are you looking at it for nap or as a cot replacement? Do you plan to have your child in infant care? In that case you might want to avoid having your child reliant on a hammock as most infant cares only have bouncers + cots.

TapFluencer

Personally is you or ur caregiver. My parents feel she sleep better in yao lan n make the head rounder. For me, I don’t really have a no no. Bcos all of us just wan the best for bb.

Nay. PD , my parents and even my hubby are all against. Its not exactly safe. And we dont want to be constantly rocking our kids to sleep. Its gonna be a habit.

yes for me. my 2months old baby is too clingy. as a cs moms its quite painfull for me to carry him all day. using yao lan really helps a lot

Yay cause i put my daughter in yao lan when she is already 1 months old few days so that she can sleep longer and comfortable