Elective C-section

I'm will be having my elective c-section on this coming Monday, 22 Apr.. and i am feeling very very scared of the whole procedure.. worried if i will feel pain etc.. can any mummy share your experience on your first c-section. many thanks!!

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I just had a c-sec at mount e novena last month. Similar experience with Hui Fen. You can check in after midnight if you have the ops in the morning but I chose to sleep at home (better slp) and travelled to the hospital early morning. Hospital sent me a message to arrive 4h earlier at the business centre. It was not crowded when i arrived around 7am. My ops was scheduled at 11am. My gynae visited me around 8/9am and the nurse prepared me for the ops (shave some pubic hair) around 10am. On the way to the ops threatre, i cried a bit as I was nervous. I did not have pain during the ops and heard my bb cries after 20 min from the start of the ops. Husband cut the umbilical cord and PD checked the bb. Nurse then brought the baby to me for skin to skin while gynae stitched me up. Soon, the nurse brought my husband and bb back to the ward as the stitching will take a while. Surgery ended around 12+ and i had to spend 45 min at the recovery ward. I was sent back tomy ward just before 2pm. I was bedridden for the 1st night and when gynae checked me the next morning, i was ready to get off the drip and was told to urine within a few hours. Had to inform nurse as they wanted to measure the urine level. I wore an abdominal binder after the surgery but saw rashes 2 days later. Thus, i stopped wearing it. I took the painkiller my gynae gave and felt just mild pain. I tried not to bend or carry heavy things the first few days. C-sec is nothing compared to breastfeeding. I struggled because my newborn was feeling sleepy. The nurse would remind me to wake baby up and feed him every 3h. During the last 2 nights, i had difficulties breastfeed bb and nurse and lactation consultant were helping me. I will advise that you get a lactation consultant or nurse to be around so that you can ensure that you get the basic rights.

Read more

Hi there! I was the same like you just a few months before! However the fear is definitely worse than the experience I should say. Which hospital is it? Mine was at TMC. I suggest watching the video Xiaxue filmed during her c sect to understand more. It has a good flow of what to expect and is light hearted which helped me heaps. Some tips I have: 1) the most nervous parts should be when the nurse arrive to wheel you to the OT and when you are waiting outside the surgery room. Partly because it’s happening and your hubby won’t join u till ur procedure is about to start. Talking to my baby helped me so maybe it will help you too. Treasure these last moments and tell your baby that you will see him/her soon 2) the friendly anesthetist is your best friend. I voiced to her my fear and she patiently explained the two jabs I was going to receive and how i was going to feel. It was not painful at all actually. She was really reassuring too. 3) the shivering after the procedure is quite significant. Do ask for extra blanket if needed or ask your hubby to bring a thick jacket for you. 4) take the pain meds after the procedure - I took them and never once felt the pain was overwhelming and I have a low pain threshold haha. The entire procedure is really fast actually. If you have any more questions pls feel free to ask me. Jiayou, hope you have a smooth delivery and recover soon.

Read more
5y ago

You r most welcomed! We new mommies must have each other’s backs as motherhood is no mean feat :) for me there is definitely no pain felt during the procedure. After spinal anaesthesia, just feel numbed waist down. The feeling is like what the anesthetist described I.e. legs feel like buried under heavy sand. If you are nauseated due to the anaesthesia, which I was, immediately tell the anesthetist so she can quickly administer something through iv to help. When the dr is delivering the baby, there is just pressure and tugging. Uncomfortable but very bearable I should say. Just rmb that you may think other mommies are so brave but they are actually scared inside too. Especially if first birth and it’s a major op. Jiayou!!!

Super Mum

Don't worry mummy. I was scared like you too (had to do emergency csect from complication) but the fear of it is a lot worse than the actual experience. I had local anaesthesia so I was awake but it was over very fast. Felt like someone tugging on your tummy for 10 minutes then before you realize it baby is already out! Afterwards I felt really tired and was shaking uncontrollably but overall the experience is quite pleasant and really memorable. It started hurting about half a day later. My advice is to get out of bed (to pee etc) before it starts hurting because the first time you get out of bed is pure agony. After that it was painful for a few days but I recovered quite fast. All the best to you, have a pleasant and safe delivery!

Read more
5y ago

thanks alot for your advice!! 😊

TapFluencer

👋🏻 hi, don’t worry and think so much. Everything will be fine. I was super worried till I burst out crying on the prev night of checking in hospital for next morn c sect. Didn’t slp at all and end up, the whole procedure was so fast, no pain at all no feeling. The only a little more painful part is the next day when they ask u to stand up. Other than that, nothing at all. Regret not sleeping well due to over worry. Now baby is here, sleepless nights.. I think scarier than giving birth. 😂 😂 anyway have a smooth delivery! 👍🏻

Read more
VIP Member

i went for emergency csection under GA (total knock out) due to medical issues. Being wheeled into the OT and prepped for surgery as well as coming out of e slumber was quite scary.. thereafter recovering time was also quite bad cos of the pain. suggest you buy a csection stomach binder as it will really help to hold the wound so u can walk sooner. and try out different breastfeeding position such as football hold.

Read more

I suggest you go to YouTube to watch some videos about c section. I feel that knowing what is going to happen will lessen your fear. Well at least for me. That is what I did. I have 2 C section. And it was alright. Just remember the more you walk the lesser pain you will feel.

Relax yourself and talk to baby. You must be relaxed then baby will be relaxed. My wife took epidural and said it felt like minor ant bite. Mummy you can do it! For your baby and hubby and your families 👪

4y ago

After C sect, have plenty of sleep and rest during the first 24 to 48 hours. Very important. And try to eat to replenish your body energy. After you are discharged from hospital, remember to do your confinement well - try to get in law or your mother to cook nuitruous home cooked confinement meals for you daily and eat it for a month to nurse & recover your body.

jia you mummy! i can't help you with answer coz i didn't go through c-sect route but believe in yourself all is going to be well! all i know is procedure is quite fast one hehe

TapFluencer

also chose CS... didnt think too much about it & just went ahead with it... the pain soon passed... stay strong 💪💕

Super Mum

It’s painful for sure. But doctor will prescribe painkillers to u which will help in reducing the pain.