Elective C-section

I'm will be having my elective c-section on this coming Monday, 22 Apr.. and i am feeling very very scared of the whole procedure.. worried if i will feel pain etc.. can any mummy share your experience on your first c-section. many thanks!!

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! I was the same like you just a few months before! However the fear is definitely worse than the experience I should say. Which hospital is it? Mine was at TMC. I suggest watching the video Xiaxue filmed during her c sect to understand more. It has a good flow of what to expect and is light hearted which helped me heaps. Some tips I have: 1) the most nervous parts should be when the nurse arrive to wheel you to the OT and when you are waiting outside the surgery room. Partly because it’s happening and your hubby won’t join u till ur procedure is about to start. Talking to my baby helped me so maybe it will help you too. Treasure these last moments and tell your baby that you will see him/her soon 2) the friendly anesthetist is your best friend. I voiced to her my fear and she patiently explained the two jabs I was going to receive and how i was going to feel. It was not painful at all actually. She was really reassuring too. 3) the shivering after the procedure is quite significant. Do ask for extra blanket if needed or ask your hubby to bring a thick jacket for you. 4) take the pain meds after the procedure - I took them and never once felt the pain was overwhelming and I have a low pain threshold haha. The entire procedure is really fast actually. If you have any more questions pls feel free to ask me. Jiayou, hope you have a smooth delivery and recover soon.

Read more
5y ago

You r most welcomed! We new mommies must have each other’s backs as motherhood is no mean feat :) for me there is definitely no pain felt during the procedure. After spinal anaesthesia, just feel numbed waist down. The feeling is like what the anesthetist described I.e. legs feel like buried under heavy sand. If you are nauseated due to the anaesthesia, which I was, immediately tell the anesthetist so she can quickly administer something through iv to help. When the dr is delivering the baby, there is just pressure and tugging. Uncomfortable but very bearable I should say. Just rmb that you may think other mommies are so brave but they are actually scared inside too. Especially if first birth and it’s a major op. Jiayou!!!