I watched a lot of birthing videos when I was due the first time around -- it helped me prepare. My sister in law refuses to do that, she says it freaks her out. What do you think? Did watching birthing videos help you?

34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just my 2 cents. To me it’s not helping to watch. I’m more to the traumatised side rather than feeling calm and compose after watching (even it’s just the first half part of it, with a mother in delivery suite progressing her dilation and waiting for gynae to do his thing. Ps: the angle of the video was the gynae’s not the mother’s). Totally regret that decision to watch 😂 The thing about watching this type of documentaries, some mothers had easy birth while some wasn’t lucky and had to underwent additional procedures. But pregnancy is a unique experience to each mothers, those documentaries might represent majority of population, but won’t represent each and every possibilities that a mother could experience on her delivery day. Knowing just half of the information, could lead our mind to predict wrongly and felt discouraged when we were told by gynae that our delivery won’t be like as what we favour. I found that it’s the courage that matters, not how much detail we know about delivery. If you feel that watching those documentaries will boost your courage then why not? Good luck for yours!

Read more

I watched natural birth too to understand how is the birth process. However, I refuse to watch c-section process as I do not want to know how scary it is. So I think it is quite normal for some people to avoid watching natural birth video. For me, I prepare my own mentality in case there is a need for c-section, i.e. the most important is to have a healthy baby no matter he/she comes out through natural/c-section birth. You can encourage your sil to have a strong determination too. Hynobirthing class plus engage a double will be helpful in her childbirth as they will guide you how to manage pain and conquer your fears before and during birth.

Read more

I personally think, if your Sister in law is not comfortable with it, don't force her to watch. She knows for herself whether is it helpful or not.. because unlike for you which actually helped you, it may cause her more anxiety. I did watch during my first pregnancy and YouTube has those birthing documentary. It gave me a lot of knowledge on what can happen during birth and what to roughly expect.. and seeing the mothers cry when their child is born made me cry too..

Read more
VIP Member

I watched birthing videos, but I don't think it helped me in any way. Watching somebody give birth and actually doing it yourself is a world of difference. That person might have a high pain tolerance which when filmed, will make childbirth look like a piece of cake. I feel that every birth is different, even for the same woman. It's better to find your own methods of relieving pain (breathing techniques, meditation, labour in water etc).

Read more

it totally depends from person to person. i am never comfortable watching birthing videos, and i think it is better for me to read about it and learn more, than watching it for real. on the other hand, my friend found it very helpful and watched it before both her babies were born. let your SIL prepare for the birth the way it makes her comfortable, as what worked for you may not necessarily work for her, and let her find her own way.

Read more

She shouldn’t watch them if she doesn’t want to. The best advice that you can give her is to push, like she is having a bowel movement and that her body knows what it is supposed to do. You would be surprised to know how many nurses and doctors don’t tell the mother to push like they are having a bowel movement. If they did it could prevent so many unnecessary medical interventions.

Read more
VIP Member

Me too😂😂😂 I learned how calm and strong woman when they gave birth their baby.. So it's gave me more hope and positive mind... If they can do... So do I also... Now I don't feel scare of pain... 😂 But still nervous..

Nope, it freaked out. It going to be painful enough and I didn't want to know how stretch my *down there* would be with my baby coming out. Plus, I hated the sight of blood so I didn't want to stress myself further.

i do think that it really helps me as im scared that i might do the wrong thing while giving birth. i have 7 days more to go before giving birth to my first baby, hopefully it will went well after watching all the videoss !

syukur sgt2,sy dpermudhkn bsalin..bby ahmed zainudin,bby boy sebrat 3.16kg.. hrini dh msok hri yg ke9 berpntg... smoga sy n bby sht sepnjg didlm pntg ini