it's sooooo hard having in-laws!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moms, do any of you have an incredibly annoying mother-in-law? Just now, I was carrying my child, and my child was crying because they were tired, but when I put them on the bed to soothe them, my mother-in-law swooped in and snatched them away. Now I'm just standing here watching my mother-in-law carry my child. It's so irritating, seriously. When I'm bathing my child, she watches me like a supervisor overseeing her employees' work. She comments, "You can't do this, you can't do that." It's frustrating. Once, I saw her giving banana to my child, and my child was licking it. My child was only 3 months old at that time. I told her not to give the banana, as it's not the right time YET. She replied, "It's okay, just a lick or two won't hurt". Hello???? It's not your child..... And my husband always takes her side, which makes me even more annoyed. I'm not happy that my mother-in-law is taking over my child every day. She wants to carry them all the time, but it can't be all the time. Whenever I'm carrying my child, she always says, "Come here, I will carry." I reply, "Let me do it." Then she says, "Come here, I haven't carried them at all." But she carries them more often than I do. 🤬😡

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Oh, I totally understand how frustrating it can be to deal with an overbearing mother-in-law when it comes to caring for your child. It's important for you as the parent to set boundaries and communicate your feelings to your mother-in-law and your husband. Maybe sit down with your husband and have an open and honest conversation about how you're feeling, and see if you can come up with a solution together. It's essential for your child to have a strong relationship with their grandparents, but it's also important for you to feel respected as the parent. Maybe you can suggest some activities or tasks that your mother-in-law can help with that won't interfere with your role as the primary caregiver. Also, it might be helpful to talk to your mother-in-law directly and express your concerns kindly. Let her know that while you appreciate her love and care for your child, you need to be the one making the decisions when it comes to your child's care. Setting firm boundaries now will help prevent bigger issues in the future. Remember, you are the parent, and your feelings and decisions matter. I hope you can find a way to navigate this situation and create a peaceful and harmonious environment for you, your child, and your mother-in-law. Just take a deep breath and remember that you are doing a great job as a mom! Sending you lots of love and support during this challenging time. 💕 Mama's Choice $18 voucher 👉🏻 https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Sounds exactly like my mil and she did whatever you’ve mentioned except that banana was roast pork 😒. What I did was to flare up, because it’s damn annoying like when my child falls, my mil rushes in and attempts to snatch baby away from me and I just told her off. If not is don’t do this don’t do that like can you shut up and let me try ffs. My husband usually keeps quiet because if he dares to side his mother on this I’ll settle him after his mother. Just be stern and voice out, be nasty if you have to cause most elderly don’t listen when you do it the gentle way. Let her know not necessarily cry means you must take away, at least let the mother try and coax her own child🙄.

Read more

Did I write this post? Lol sounds exactly like mil too! She's also watching me like a hawk. Everything I SAY and DO to MY baby needs to be assessed by her. Cannot do this, cannot say this. ???? I give birth or you give birth? You want take you take, when baby cry want milk see you can give anot. 🙄 I cried talking to my husb. My patience is usually not so low, but I got him to understand the circumstances I'm in as a postpartum mother that everything is just overwhelming now. He promises to talk to her so.. I hope to see changes soon. 😕

Read more

Challenging if you're living with her, but what I would do in this situation is to not let her interfere when you are handling the baby. For example, when bathing the baby, close the door and say you need privacy. She needs to understand that you are the parent, not her. The fact that she tries to let your baby lick banana at 3 months is a red flag. Important that your husband communicates your frustration with her. Hope things get better for you and baby. All the best, and don't lose heart! 🙏

Read more

Sometimes you have to be stern with some elderly because if you never tell they will never understand or even know how you are feeling. We don’t mean to be rude, but you have to remind some people that you are the mother and let you have the respect you deserve. What you need to do now is to fight for your respect as a mother of her grandchildren. Things will fall in place. And she will definitely understand you one day.

Read more

I had been complained to put my baby in room all the time during my postpartum. saying me duno how I take care my baby always heard my baby crying. Engage confinement foods and said that my foods is so cheap ingredients. Every meals been viewed by her and comment. I had been crying days in room and feeling sad why don’t she understand my situation as she been mum before too.

Read more
2w ago

We can’t control what she says but maybe you can ask her if she would like to contribute to your confinement with yummy food. Since she finds it cheap. And maybe teach you to handle baby or come in to help at night especially. We Keeping quiet makes them feel the right to demote us but we are failing. We can always ask them for their help hahaha not sure if they are willing to, simple no help no talk!

truly understand. my MIL came in my room and snatched the baby from me during bf just because she cried while trying to latch on. She would came in during midnight if she heard bb crying and wants to carry her away. make me so stress every night when the BB started to cry.

you are the child's mother, you have every right to voice out and step in whenever you want. Best thing if you can move out from your in laws if possible, it's toxic. otherwise, can try to talk to your husband about it

Be very firm and speak to your husband. He should be prioritising you above his mother when it comes to YOUR child. Lock the door to find peace.

Thank god i have my own house before having a baby. Expected things like this can occur so scary.