Should you or should you not introduce gadgets to you little one? My 14months old can now identify the youtube app, go in, select her videos, press the play button and adjust the volume when she finds it too soft.. She doesn't ask for it but when I see she's able to do all that at her age I feel a little worried and wonder if I'm introducing it to her too early? On the other hand, she learns a lot of good things from those videos...

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hi my 2 elder kids love the iPad. They have learrnt alot through Youtube videos and educational apps. It has also been a helpful tool during some awful tantrums. However, I struggle with using it too often too just like you. I think it's all a matter of moderation. I let them use the iPad after they have finish all their important stuff such as bath, dinner, homework etc. And I limit it to about half an hour. I think with younger kids you might want to let her use it for a shorter duration. Important to let them rest their eyes too after watching to prevent myopia.

Read more

For me I would try to delay introducing gadgets as late as possible. My no.1 exposed to youtube videoa at 4 years old and she didn't get addicted. For no.2 since there is sister's influence, occasionally he will ask for nursery rhymes videos. We only use it as emergency solution e.g. in car whining because of long journey. Since i am a sahm, I try to interact and play with them as much as possible and they love it.

Read more
VIP Member

We had the same sentiments as you, Wendy. My girl happily helps herself to the hp and look for a fave shows to watch, flashing us that knowing grin. We don't like the idea of her getting hooked so it's about limiting screen time, esp meal times. It's our last resort when we're out dining and she's fussing and crying... only Barney can work his magic! :(

Read more
VIP Member

My friend actually let her son use the iPad for extended periods of time and she now regrets it as her son has to wear glasses at the age of 5. On the flip side, she did notice that her son picked up a lot of vocabulary from the applications. It is still ideal to interact with your child instead of letting the gadgets do the babysitting.

Read more

Ah Wendy, we all have the same problems! I struggle with it too...I also think as they get older and become more independent and can play on their own, the gadget time becomes less. But I have been guilty of using it once too often to stop a tantrum in the making when we are outside the home....

thanks