I watched a lot of birthing videos when I was due the first time around -- it helped me prepare. My sister in law refuses to do that, she says it freaks her out. What do you think? Did watching birthing videos help you?

34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just my 2 cents. To me it’s not helping to watch. I’m more to the traumatised side rather than feeling calm and compose after watching (even it’s just the first half part of it, with a mother in delivery suite progressing her dilation and waiting for gynae to do his thing. Ps: the angle of the video was the gynae’s not the mother’s). Totally regret that decision to watch 😂 The thing about watching this type of documentaries, some mothers had easy birth while some wasn’t lucky and had to underwent additional procedures. But pregnancy is a unique experience to each mothers, those documentaries might represent majority of population, but won’t represent each and every possibilities that a mother could experience on her delivery day. Knowing just half of the information, could lead our mind to predict wrongly and felt discouraged when we were told by gynae that our delivery won’t be like as what we favour. I found that it’s the courage that matters, not how much detail we know about delivery. If you feel that watching those documentaries will boost your courage then why not? Good luck for yours!

Read more