My Teenage Girl

I seems to have issue talking to my girl who id 13 years. She is often rude and ungrateful. How do i deal with this?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Firstly take comfort in knowing that this is super normal. Most teenagers at 13 are disrespectful, angstsy, angry and a little mean. Teens are going through a very stressful time in their lives: They want to please us, but they also want to break away. Psychologically and physiologically there are also lots of changes. Add to the mix that they want to be accepted by their peers - so you can imagine that It’s overwhelming for them - so they tend to act out. As a parent it’s vital that you are able to start to give them chances to have more control of their lives. It doesn’t have to be major decisions but for example let them choose the menu for dinner, the restaurant or the sports they'll be playing, Also at this stage - it’s important that you talk less, nag less, and listen more. Teenagers especially girls have so much to share with their mums and we often miss the forest for the trees by nagging at them for all the things they do wrong vs what’s really happening in their lives. Also resist the urge of giving advice and just be non judgmental and listen to them. Good luck for this new stage. :)

Read more
5y ago

Thank you. It is a struggle not to be a nag at times. Sometimes a gentle reminder to the girls seems like a nag to them

Hi , Be rest assured that teenage phase is a difficult phase for anybody. The hormonal changes, the physical changes, specially in a girl make them angry, irritated all the times. They get mad because they want to prove something but at the same time they want to function however they want to. As parents, and specially as mum, we need to understand this and becoming a friend helps the most. Children need their parents the most in teenage stage and we should always be there to guide them, support them and tell them that this is allryt :) I think being like a buddy to your girl and helping her share what she feels is very important and would certainly help

Read more
5y ago

Thank you for this. Will try to be a friend rather than a naggy mummy to my girl.

She’s at the age of realising who she is as a person, so it’s normal for youths at that age to be like that as they are still going through puberty, trying to learn from their mistakes and about life, as well as trying to differentiate what’s right and wrong. All in all, being a girl at that age, she often face self-confident issues especially now in the era where social media is so easily accessible, she’ll feel more pressured to be judge by society.

Read more

Teenagers Sometimes we also have to check ourselves how do we talk to them It’s a 2 way street Maybe have a us time together with her just u and her Go for high tea, lunch dinner whatever Do the things that she enjoys too Then bond and talk to her how it makes u feel whenever things like that happens Sometimes hormones are raging for teenagers they might not even realise.

Read more
TapFluencer

Sit down with her and discuss about boundaries. Also, you control the purse string. So I do the carrot and stick approach. I set guidelines and if not followed, I remove allowance or access to wifi or cut his mobile subscription or some other privileges. My teen usually tos the line then

5y ago

Thank u for the advice

Patient is key. I notice people around this age starts to be rebellious. It happens to me and my siblings too. Be patient with them, they will be grateful to you when they overcome this period. I recommend htht (heart to heart talk) with them whenever possible. Jus you and her alone.

Read more
5y ago

Thanks will have to master the technique of patient!

VIP Member

Hi... you might find this article informative https://sg.theasianparent.com/parent_teen_conflict_kenny_toh

5y ago

Thanks will take a look at the article

VIP Member

communicate well with her as they are growing and going through teenage life

Super Mum

You will need to be patient and try talking things out with her.