Sleeping on my left side

I am in my 2nd trimester. So i am making a conscious effort to sleep on my left side ( since its the recommended position) Initially i just used a bolster to help me, but i am aching so much that i decided to get one of those pregnancy pillow. But it is still not helping! I woke up in the middle of the night, having aches on the left side of my body. Especially my arms and my left pelvis area! Anyone experiencing the same problem? Any advices?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just toss and turn as and when you feel like it. Just don’t sleep on your back for too long. No choice have to get used to it.. it’ll get more difficult in 3rd trimester when your tummy grows bigger and heavier to turn. Get your partner to press on your back while you lay sideways. That was what my husband did for me every night till I gave birth. Make sure you also wear those pregnancy belt especially for long walks when your tummy grows bigger so the weight of your tummy won’t put stress on your back which can cause those backache at night. ☺️

Read more

28 weeks pregnant with the same issues as well! Pregnancy pillow wasn't doing any help for me, still waking up with cramps or turning on my back in my sleep. Hubby took matters to his own hands, would sleep back to back so he make sure I stay on my side then will wake me up to switch sides of the bed so I can lay on another side, this way I get lesser cramps but tough on my hubs :/

Read more

I have been sleeping perched up 3 pillows since 1st trimester, to avoid heartburn and also not to feel cramps and halfway thru the night I wil find myself sliding down to my left and i wil sleep comfortably til morning. Hopefully u find ur comfort soon.. Cos as much as I want to sleep normally too, I guess this is what we have to endure for a bit more.

Read more

hi im also in my 2nd tri a ftm 😊 same issue as you, leg cramps pelvis aches etc moreover sleeping on my left is much more uncomfortable than on my right... I will try my best to sleep as long as possible on my left. when I cant take it any longer I'll just flip to my right side.

place a pillow on your back just to slightly elevated your back, at least you are not lying flat on your back! switch in-between with lying on side hugging onto a bolster, need some time to get used it.

I resorted to lying against the headboard 45 degrees and it helps! Coz no matter I sleep on my left or right it’s just uncomfortable, so lying down in an angled position might work

Left is recommended but not a must. There is nothing wrong occasionally switching to the right for your comfort. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, whether I am pregnant or not. hehe

me too! when I had my first baby, I just resorted to tossing here and there till I finally fell asleep.. probably just too tired from all the tossing 🤣

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I was so worried about switching to the right side before!

Post reply image

I’ll just switch over to the right side