Help anyone

I have a very serious issue and I have no one to ask advise. I am currently staying with my mother and my sister in a 2 room flat, the room is occupied by my sister. Me and my husband currently pregnant at 36 weeks and my husband is Sikh while I'm Muslim and we got married civil marriage. My mother kept on asking us to make sure the baby is Muslim. Is that even fair? She keep on insisting this and that like as though it is her child. She mentioned if she is going to take care of our baby she wants the baby to be muslim. I personally do not want my baby to be muslim and me and my husband has been battling this religion thing for so long and i just hate that it's affecting our rs. So far me and my husband always agrees on everything together and have no issues only until my mother keep on bringing it up all the damn time. I really hate it. I really feel like moving out but we have no where else to stay. I am feeling so upset because even today my mom tried to control how we name our first born. It's so frustrating. What should I do? Where can I get temporary housing???

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

A child's religion should be decided by the parents till the child is able to decide for itself. You have to talk to your mum and let her know that your marriage is suffering. Please approach HDB for a rental flat temporarily, make sure you have some cash in hand. And also start looking out for alternative infant care in case your mum is not going to help in case you decide the child to grow up as a non muslim. Your child may not be perceived as a muslim child even if it is muslim in religion (due to your marriage) - my personal experience. Please do not stress yourself!

Read more

You can go to HDB & try applying for a rental flat. They will escalate your case to get a flat asap, especially when you are heavily pregnant now. You can register & tell the officers that you got no place to stay right now & when the baby is born, it will be very difficult for you guys. Hopefully before you deliver, you will get a flat. Do prepare some money during collection of keys. For your mother case, it's better to have a talk with her. Tell her to give her fullest support to you & be much supportive. No harm talking to her in nicer way.

Read more

You may approach HDB to apply for a rental flat. You may also want to approach your MP for expedition. With regards to your mother, have a good talk with her and hope she can be convinced. Note that you are a Muslim and married to a non-Muslim under civil marriage; and your child's religion is yet to confirm. I would suggest you to check about the intestacy law with the MUIS or Ministry of Law so that you could plan and ensure your love ones will not miss out in inheritance in future. Sorry to talk about this if you mind.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, I agree with the rest too. Please get a rental hdb flat ASAP. At week 36, it is an important stage, do not delay any longer. For the names, I believe you and your husband should decide together and make the choice yourself. It is your baby after all. Good luck 👍🍀🍀🍀

Get help and Get a rental flat for time being . About names ? Its you and your husband decision you don’t have to listen to anybody about what name you should put .