Feels like I’m alone and an outcast

Just wanna pour out .. I know I will have no solution for this.. My husband was nice enough to accommodate my mum after my dad’s passing in year 2022. Unfortunately, my mum was diagnosed with terminal illness few months after and she had left us early this year. I was very appreciative to my husband for the fact that he initiated to ask my mum to stay with us. Now, his mum who is of different nationality is staying with us .. on and off as she can’t stay long as a foreigner. This time round is the longest she ever stayed .. 3mths .. I feel bad that I can’t click with her .. I feel suffocated with her presence .. especially now when I am on HL to prepare for delivery of my No.2 . She has different living habits .. the way and the language she speaks is different … although she can speak mandarin, most of the time when my husband is at home .. they will be speaking in their own language. I can hear my name in their conversation but I don’t know what they are talking about and it’s weird to ask.. and I will just quietly have my meal or do my things. Sometimes I feel like I have no control over my own place. My husband told me she will be coming back about 3mths later .. I asked him how long will she be here .. and he got offended .. sensing that I don’t welcome his mum .. actually all I want is just to be mentally prepared of what I will be dealing with. Then today, my MIL told me she will want to bring along another relative to stay with us in 2 mths time and I dare not ask her how long they will be staying .. She mentioned the relative needs a break and will like to follow her to Singapore for a breather and she thought it will be a good idea as we will be busy moving at that time .. she can be a helping hand. But deep inside me, packing and arranging things is a very personally thing.. I don’t like ppl whom I’m not close with to meddle with my things .. more so at that point .. i can foresee a lot of people giving feedback on how to take care of my 3mths old No.2 . I starting to hate being at home now .. I am due for delivery at anytime but I prefer to just roam around outside .. I feel better alone .. and realised I feel better when I dun need to face anyone now .. including my husband. I don’t want my thoughts to affect my relationship. Thank god I still have my No. 1 for distraction.

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

wow that's kinda tough... huggss... I'm not sure how to best approach the situation but maybe I'll let my husband know that I'm having resistance staying at home now.. while I do welcome mil, but at times there are some differences between us that I don't know how to approach, and would like to seek his advice on how we can approach the situation to make me feel comfortable and mil happy. then state some specific examples and ask him how to approach if it's him. like I'm afraid that mil may have differing approach about how to care for baby, then I'll be stuck and stress, like how much milk to feed, what food to give etc. or that cos I'm personal and prefer to pack my own stuff in a certain way, then if mil pack differently I will feel uncomfortable but to reject her Im afraid she gets offended. but if I keep bottling up my uncomfortableness it might explode one day and spoil relationship, not healthy for long run. what would you suggest? so make it sounds like I want it to work but don't know how... hopefully that can lessen the impact. may need to be extra careful to make it sound like you are looking for solutions/workarounds rather than point faults... but still, really tough. hopefully someone can share some advice

Read more