Hi all I have a 5mth month old girl. She will usually slp at 8pm self soothe however for past 3 weeks she will wakes up mybe 4 times wanting me carry her n pat her. Less than 5mins she doze off put her down an hr later she wakes up n i have to repeat what i do. She's not hungry. I wish i could go on cold turkey but i hav another 1 year daug sleep in w me. Dont want disturb her sleep

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

If all this while she has been able to self soothe then she definitely doesn't need your help to fall back to sleep when she wakes up from one of her sleep cycles. Keep it consistent at all times. Sometimes it only takes one time for you to be inconsistent and your baby will learn very quickly and start developing bad sleep habits. Try to get her to bed earlier than 8pm as she definitely is overtired if she's waking up multiple times at night.

Read more
7y ago

No she won't wake up earlier. She's sleep deprived.

Growth spurt (calculated from EDD and varies individually) and sleep regression is what may be happening as baby develops and grow cognitively too. It's a phase so just for now do whatever it takes for baby to sleep as it is a phase and then try to return to ur regular routine slowly but surely. There is no need to go cold turkey. U can teach baby to self sooth or give pacifier or tap baby to sleep

Read more
7y ago

Yes munmy pacifier given. I cant tab her to sleep she will scream so i carry her and pat her to slp is that okay? I hope bby wont get used to carry and pat to slp during mid morning

I second the mom above. Be patient for now, it is a stage and it will pass. For now, comfort baby. If you can pat her gently whilst she remains in her bed. Hang on dear!

VIP Member

She may be going through a period of development. During this time, sleep regression may occur. After it passes, she will go back to her usual pattern of sleeping.

She has some sleep debt accumulated due to all these night wakings. Offer her an extremely early bedtime at 6PM and night wakings will go away.