I feel guilty

I gave birth to my LO last january. He's our first and had actually a long wait before he was given to us. As first time parents, we always think of giving the best for him, all he needs and all the must haves. We love our son so much. But soon as we have him, most of his things were given to us, most were hand-me- downs. So we were quite hesitant of buying new ones coz it quite felt like a waste of the blessings. Like the crib, carseat,high chairs were passed down from my niece, but luckily are black and red coloured, most of his clothes were given by my friend who literally like given almost all her baby's clothes. I mean like we have the means, we also bought clothes and things for him. It's just that I sometimes get this feeling that we are not providing him the best that we promised to him and ourselves. Whenever i share this with my husband, he just say dont worry much, we can still give him the best when grows up. Before i got pregnant, i used to say the first borns are very lucky, they get all the new and best ones. I am a second child so i have this guilty feeling..that maybe that has something to do with me not giving the best for my first born. God, I know this sounds petty. I hope this is just some post partum thoughts that i need to throw away.. #1stimemom #advicepls

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My first was also given many pass down clothing and some items. One of my gf pass down her daughter clothes alot till few yr old to me. I feel happy actually, as there friend passing down clothes to my daughter. To me I felt my girl was bless that there are friends of mine pass things and even they purchase things for her. Is like these are real friends. Even some of the things passing down to me was not very new like bouncy walker. The toys on top had already missing alot. But I’m still happy about it. As there “friend” passing down thing to me. I appreciate what friends given. Think positive and think happy stuffs. 😊

Read more

I also took a lot of hand-me-downs for my son (coming next week), and I feel this helps me to save a lot of money because baby grows very fast. I feel its better to spend more money for his future especially his education when he grows up. Its ok Mummy, we do our best to provide for our children 😊 Jiayou! You are not alone, stay strong 💪

Read more

Don't worry at all! The most important thing your baby needs now is your love and care. It sounds like you as parents are providing him with plenty! I think what would be nice is to buy a piece or two of something super nice, something that you can keep as a memory and show him when he grows up. When my baby is born, that's what I'm hoping to do. All the best

Read more

Don’t feel guilty! Almost all the stuff my baby has/uses, are all hand me downs. Not because we cannot afford but everyone feels that it is a waste to buy something new when they’re not gonna use if for long. Also, baby wouldn’t know and wouldn’t mind at their age. As long as we love and care for them, that’s good enough! ☺️

Read more

Dont think this way! I was a first time mum and spent quite a bit on all the new stuff instead of getting blessed items.. partially coz both of us r not comfortable with hand me downs.. i guess its just post partum tots coz though my ger is coming one year old, i feel that i also dun gv him enuf attention n spend enuf time wif her

Read more

I also took alot of hand-me-downs from friends and I also felt guilty at first cos first baby (and only) but after we realised how fast she outgrow the clothes, we really relieved the amount of money saved! don't feel bad because u are going to spend even more money on other stuffs as baby grows haha so don't worry abt it now!

Read more

Don’t think like that. I have a son too, only one for now. We also received a lot of hand me downs from a lot of well meaning friends and we are so happy about it. Because this means we get to save money to get other first hand items for him! This is the best we can do as parents :) doesn’t mean new means best!

Read more

I am a hand me down receiver. I feel so blessed people care enough even it is a hand me down. we also buy some clothes of their own. Don't feel bad because it is just baby/ toddler stuff. they will grow out of it fast. Save the money for other things like toys, educational stuff or jalan² outings.

thank you dears for your advice,, dont get me wrong, God knows how we are super thankful for those people and their blessings to us and my baby...Hope that we can continue to provide for him of what truly matters and be the best parents to him.🙂 so sorry for being too emotional🙃

i had my first born last year Jan too. i bought some of the babies stuffs and i gladly accepts hand me down too. what matters more to me is spending time with my girl and capturing her moments. that, to me, having quality time with my girl is the best we can give her as parents. ❤