I feel like I'm a bad father. My wife gave birth four months ago and I now dread coming home to a screaming baby and a tired wife. Other fathers keep telling me about how they instantly connected with their kid, but that didn't happen to me. We have some good days but they're few and far between. I don't know what to do :(

5 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Although men aren't the ones who bear children, we are still susceptible to this thing called Paternal Postnatal Depression. Yes, this do exist and most likely, just like in women, it happens to first-time dads. Intervention for this is just the same as women's. It's best to seek advice as early as possible. I suggest you don't vent it to your wife first, unless she can completely understand everything. But having underwent such complex process—from pregnancy to giving birth—she may be more susceptible to depression than you. Taking care of a baby right after the entire tiring process is no joke so if you want to share with her, make sure she is in a healthy disposition. You don't want to be misconstrued.

Magbasa pa