Hi, I am difficult situation. 1. I love my job which give me some flexibility as I recently change department and do not need to work late. But I need to take over some tasks which need 6 months to settle down. I have 3 kids, 8 years, 4 years and 16 months old toddler. My youngest one going to childcare next year. I have a helper and my mum to help me until my youngest one in school. 2. My Brother is going to be daddy soon in December and my mum need to help to take care new born. 3. My mum is on difficult situation as my Brother stay in Batam and I am in Singapore. I need a job to shoulder the family. My Husband is debt and he has his own business problems and really no mood to takecare family. I am the main contributor to the family. I have some saving thought and thinking to quit for 2 years then go back to work until my kids all big enough to handle by my helper. If I quit, I will send the helper back and my mum no need to help me. I cannot effort helper If I don't work. I am hoping my mum to help me to go through the difficult situation but I don't think it is good that she doesn't help my Brother. What should I do? I am lost when I heard from my mum that my Brother asking for help. I cannot say no. My helper cannot handle my first Son as he is attention seeking children ( Super hard to handle him). My 2nd one in full day childcare. I just some suggestions on my working arrangement. Should I work part time? My current job not a management role but I have a decent pay with good boss. My helper cannot handle 3 kids after school. I am getting stress to think all these. I feel like world is ending kind.. my mum also keep wanting to go holiday to relax. She worried that she cannot go holiday next year. I am totally lost.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I really don't think you should quit your job now as your family needs your j come badly! Without income and just savings, I'm afraid you will be even more stressed. Discuss with your Mom and Brother honestly and tell them your problems.... see if they can work something out with u. After all u all are family and your Brother should be understanding? Talk more to your hubby. He may be in debt but he is the Father of the kids!! Ask him to step up!! Discuss your family finances seriously with him. Tell him you need to work to help the family but you need his cooperation to step up as the man of the family! It's unfair for you to shoulder all these on your own! Hugs.

Read more
VIP Member

Don't quit your job now esp since its the only stable income for your family. Are finances enough to afford 2 helpers for an interim period of time? Since u mentioned u have enough saved to stop working for a while, I assume u may have some leeway in terms of finances. If it takes only half a year for work situation to settle down, perhaps this only requires a short term solution. However, do consider talking to your boss about your situation, who knows, maybe he/she may be able to lessen the workload for you to be able to knock off on time.

Read more

Just an out-of-box suggestion: since your brother stays in Batam, can you talk to your brother and ask if he can hire an helper over there to help (I heard hiring an helper in Indonesia is one quarter of the cost compared to Singapore). You can offer to shoulder some of the cost for let's say 6 months. So in exchange your mother stays and help you through this difficult period. Don't quit your job, since your husband's income is unpredictable.

Read more

Agree with the other mummy that you should ask your bro to hire his helper from Batam. Perhaps you can have a discussion with your boss if you can opt for flexi-work arrangement [eg go in or leave an hour earlier, work from home for a few hours/half a day etc]

I suggest you speak to your brother about the helper in batam and also you can check with employer about the flexi work possibilities. For example work from home is a very helpful option

Please don't quite your job. financial stress can break a family. Take 李紫昀 advise and get your husband family to be involve.

7y ago

My Husband family has another set of problem which I can't get along. The best person to help is my mum. My hubby is driving crazy by all the financial stress which I told him that I won't pay for him at all. Relationship is in drain. I will try to work on myself.

VIP Member

I hope by sending my virtual hug to you, it can make your day abit brighter.. :) *hugs* Be strong Mummy! Hwaiting!

VIP Member

How about ur MIL? Or aunts who willing to take care?