Food or drinks to help with nausea/vomiting. Poor appetite in the first trimester.

I am currently 8 weeks. Almost everyday I have a combination of headache, nausea and vomiting. Some days it really gets to me and I feel defeated. I am trying to do a list of food/drinks that can help me combat nausea or ideas of meals I can eat, my appetite is really poor. I also have this bitter taste in my tongue which makes drinking plain water/eating a task. Would appreciate any advice and tips on what works for you. May I also check if I can take panadol with my morning sickness pill (metoclopramide/diclectin) on days I have both a headache and nausea?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

this reminds me of my first trimester! I know how that feels Skye... I barely ate anything nutritious other than fruits (surprisingly these were the only things I craved other than lollypop and ice cream). I stopped eating meat, seafood, veges, egg, milk and even bread due to the aversion. I couldnt even eat biscuits. I was literally living off lotus root soup, steamed corn, tofu soup and plain rice. I've checked with doctors (yes, more than 1 doctor) and they all said to just eat whatever I can, dont think of nutrition at the start. be it plain rice with soup, a cereal bar, tofu with soy sauce etc (just watch the sugar and sodium intake though!). as long as you eat something that gives you energy because making a baby takes a lot of energy. most importantly, drink water (fresh juice, plain water, or even 100plus) and take your prenatal vitamins. at around week 13 I started to gain back some appetite 😊 I'm currently at 21 weeks, my appetite is HUGE 😆 hopefully your appetite will be back soon ☺️ I had that bitter taste in my mouth lingering for weeks! I just took mint candy to mask it. it's a typical symptom of pregnancy that will hopefully soon go away 😉 cheering you on Mama, you're doing so great! 😘

Read more

First trimester? Are you taking the vitamins (folic acid/prenatal vitamins) your doctor prescribed? If you are, then don't worry about the rest~ You won't starve the baby, at least not just yet. Many mums lose weight or can't eat well at this stage, me included. I can eat one meal then throw up everything immediately. Important thing is to drink plenty of liquids. If you can't drink water, eat ice, or ice lollies, or whatever you can as long as got fluids that hydrate, icecream, fruits, 100plus etc, just no alcohol and reduced caffeine intake, I think anything else is good. For me, I spam iced water whenever I feel like throwing up. If I throw up the water, there's a period of comfort where I'd spam iced water again. Sometimes I just spam 100plus, coconut water and even icecream/sorbet/yoghurt icecream in effort to get enough fluids if I can't down plain water. I remember eating oranges as well since the fruit is quite juicy. There was a period where I ate acai with fruits for my meals too. I tried jellies as well haha. If you can take milk, milk is good too, if not soy milk. Milo seems good too. If you can take it, ginger tea may help you too. A mixture of all of the above seems to help me quite a bit.

Read more

Me too! 8 weeks as well! Mine started 2 weeks back. I change what I eat everyday cause after having the food once or twice I won't feel like eating it anymore 😂 but I find apples and meiji fruit yogurt to be quite ok. Not sian of it yet even after having it for a while. I went through meiji biscuit, kokocrunch, grapes, blueberry, nuts, milo, soya milk, Ribena, honey lemon, cup noodles, fries. But now I'm sick of them. Now I'm onto orange juice and oats with honey, but I don't think they can last very long. For meals, also same, got sian of it after eating once of twice. Just got to keep finding new food to eat. I will try to eat smth no matter what cause if I don't and get too hungry I will feel like puking again. Still got 4 more weeks to end of first trimester, hopefully got enough food out there to keep rotating.

Read more

hello! yes 1st tri is tough. i lose weight coz lost of appetite and vomit. so i just eat whatever i feel like eating, dont care nutritious or nt. like cup noodle, choco, bbt, snacks. cold sweet drink help me feel better. i drink ice lemon tea, almost 1 cup a day. although some ppl say cold drink nt gd, but i dont care. better than dont eat dont drink at all right. now im 16 weeks and baby is doing well. once u are in 2nd tri, u can eat better alr. for me i dont eat alot still. appetite still small but at least i wont vomit. just make sure i dont go hungry

Read more

I would suggest avoid having heavy meal and try to have smaller meal frequently. Avoid dairy! Itll make you want to puke even more. Can try drinking 100plus, or if you want to drink water can try squeeze some lemon or drink diluted ribena. I frgt what i ate during 1st trim bt i remember eating normally but very very very little. And yes you can eat paracetamol with other medicine. Hang in there ! Mid 2nd trimester youll get your appetite and energy back! Try to rest alot for now.

Read more

I had a lot of spicy and sour tomato pasta in my first tri coz I couldn't stomach other flavours..at least the sour taste helps me to eat better. maybe can try? pasta mania has a chicken and broccoli pasta or sth like that

I had some lemon water whenever I feel nausea/bloated, and it makes me feel so much better. Maybe you can try it too :) jiayou!!