husband is a smoker.

My husband is a smoker. He is a VERY HEAVY SMOKER. But, my house is a smoking free zone. I don't allow him to smoke in the house/toilet or anywhere near my house. I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant. I tend to be more breathless when i smell smoke if he is smoking in the corridor or anywhere near the house. How do i get him to understand that the smoke can actually harm my kids and myself?

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My husband is a very heavy smoker too and I can empathize if he cannot quit because I used to smoke also before I was pregnant, thus I understand the urge. He smokes outside near the hdb staircase (away from the windows) and ensures that I completely cannot smell it. When he enters the house, he will sanitize and wont come near me for awhile. At night before bed, he will change his clothes and brush his teeth to ensure I am comfortable and somehow help to minimize my contact with the tobacco particles on his body. Maybe he is aware of the effects of secondhand smoke on pregnancy and your unborn child, but doesnt know how to deal with the strong urge to smoke. Maybe you can talk to him on how to at least keep the smoke far away from you and your kids, since it’s tough for him to quit? Or cut down?

Read more