How to start solid food for my LO? He is turning 6 months next week. And I wonder is it once he is 6 months he should eat puree or porridge? How to schedule his meal?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Before offering anything, make sure LO is ready for solids - don't rush into it just because he turned 6 months old! Some signs of readiness would be sitting up unsupported and showing eagerness in food :) You can start with single-ingredient purée first - usually offered for 3 days in a row to observe for adverse reaction before moving on to the next. Once you cleared a few different types, you can move on to mixing two together like carrot + apple :) As for porridge, I'd suggest plain porridge first - then subsequently add ingredients like meat, vegetables etc. Also do it one ingredient at a time so you can pinpoint which ingredient it is if he has an allergy :) For scheduling, I usually offer once in the afternoon - about 1-1.5 hours after his milk feed. Don't have to prepare a lot, just a small bowl will do! Below 1yo, milk is still our LO's main source of nutrients - so any kind of solids before that is actually "just for fun". Don't be too worried if he's not picking it up well, or fast enough compared to others!

Read more

I started with self-prepared puree first. I steamed carrot/pumpkin/brocolli till super soft den i mashed it up. I gave solids twice a day (morning cereal, afternoon vege puree). In the beginning, i give a little bit to try first. With milk after tat. Can let him lie down on a bouncer to feed if cannot sit yet.

Read more
7y ago

If give already then milk after that should reduce from the normal amount?

VIP Member

You can first start off with either rice cereal or puree. I like to start mine with rice cereal first. I will give it usually in the afternoon. when he isn't sleepy and too hungry. get him seated on a high chair, feed them a few spoonful for a start will do.

Read more
7y ago

you can use those rocker chair

start off with food easily digestible. such as oats, banana, rice cereal with milk, carrots with milk. start feeding lunch and dinner first in small portions. if baby rejects, it's okay. try again tml.

VIP Member

I started mine with Apple purée when recently when he’s 22 weeks. And slowly introduce other purée such as pumpkin and avocado. He loves his purée, I also gave him Sishen brown rice cereal too.

VIP Member

there are different kinds. traditional or baby led weaning. but.. dont rush to start on weaning. look out for readiness like able to sit independently

i give apple puree first. Sit on a bouncing chair. The most i give one tablespoon for a start

Read more
VIP Member

I started with avocado purée first

I started with rice cereal & puree.