How many hours of sleep do your preschoolers get? My nephews nap a lot during the day and have not much sleep overnight. Any ideas on how they can stop napping so that they have a good night's sleep?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Typically, preschoolers (aged between three and five) need between 11 and 13 hours of sleep over a 24-hour period. This includes one nap during the day. Kids who are older than five may not even need an afternoon nap at all. Now, even though napping begins to wade off as kids grow older, you may need to establish a sleeping schedule so that your nephew can wade off his afternoon naps and can sleep soundly at night. So there are a couple of things you can do. First, stick to his daily routine and let him nap in the afternoon, but make sure that this nap is quick. So wake him up after an hour or so. Second, maintain a consistent bedtime routine. Let him do his regular activities 30 minutes before bedtime and them start calming him down and allow him to wind down. You can do this by allowing him to pick out his pyjamas or his favourite bedtime story to get him in mind frame. Finally, limit the food and drinks to the minimum and create an environment for sleep and make the room darker.

Read more

My daugther stopped afternoon naps since she is 4 years old. Try to occupy him with some activities so he can stay awake. If he is waking up too early and thus need to nap, try to adjust his bedtime to a later time so he will wake up later. It takes time to adjust the sleeping schedule and body clock, do it consistently and you will be able to see the results in at least 2 weeks.

Read more
VIP Member

Preschoolers between 3 to 5 years of age need to sleep about 11 to 13 hours, with naptimes from 1 to 2 hours a day. They will stop napping when they are about 5 years old. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/preschoolers-and-sleep

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-1096)

It's best to start getting them into the habit for sleeping longer during the night. Keep them as busy as possible during the day. Ideally they should sleep not more than an hour or two during the day.

my kids take 1 nap that last usualy an hour to 30 min and there bedtime at 9 and they up by bewteen 7 and 8am

around 7 to 8 hours, I guess they need more sleeping time

thanks

Growing pa kasi sila