Seems like Mil will want alot of time w baby

How do you guys cope with MIL who seems to want to see baby all the time? Im currently in my last trimester, and my MIL is already asking us to have meals more often. We usually have dinner once every weekend (appx 4 hours), and now, she's been asking us whether want to have lunch/dinner on other days. The last week, she asked whether want to have lunch or dinner on 3 consecutive days! We only had dinner 1 day as we had doc appointment and were very tired. I honestly don't mind visiting more often or longer hours when baby comes but not too much as we will be so tired and we want baby to have a routine. Also, we treasure our privacy at home too. How do you guys manage such a situation?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I agree that grandparents would want to see your child more when the baby is out! I personally find that it's not a bad thing, as you do get extra help when you really really need it. Or even just to go on date nights with your hubby. I would really encourage setting routines early for yourself and your baby, cause it really gives me predictable breaks. It also prevents my baby from going overtired, which happened for me and it was terrible for me. At the same time, I would suggest coming to some agreement with your hubby first on frequency / days / time of visits, and like you said to have him front the communication with his parents. Perhaps start with saying the first 3 mths is really tough (it is) and that you will definitely bring bb over to visit them when things are more stable and manageable. They'd also want to play with a well rested and cheerful bub, rather than an overtired and cranky one. Can try to say that you will keep things fluid in the beginning and you can review frequency of visits again. I did stay with my in-laws for confinement and subsequently visited them every other day after confinement. I'm currently 3mth pp and I can tell you it is very tiring to bring baby over so frequently. Just thinking about settling the bub to a calm mode for the car ride and packing the bag is tiring 😅 Additionally, I didn't think of setting a routine for my baby and we were home very late on those days, which means she slept 10-11pm. I learned the hard way that babies have incredibly short awake times, by the time you make it there it's probably sleeping time already (during first 3 months)😅

Read more

I used to see my PIL 2-3x a monthafter getting married. After I give birth I see them 2 - 3x a week. Haha they want to see their grandchild which I can understand. Now my MIL comes over to our house to oversee the helper on weekdays. Even then they might come over on Sunday as well. Usually stay till 7 plus. Have to get used to it. But seeing them building a close bond with baby it is worth it. If my parents stay nearer it will probably be the same as well. Have to make it clear that you are the mum and while you appreciate their advise you choose your parenting style. Hint subtly if there's anything you don't like or get your husband to tell them.

Read more
4y ago

Oh gosh haha ya I can understand they wanna see their grandchild but I cannot imagine so frequent! Haha. Thanks for the tip!

Best is to speak to your husband about your MIL. Personally, I’m in a similar situation and my in laws have been coming for dinner almost every other day. Some pros: 1. They bring dinner 2. When baby is out, they will be able to help and you will be able to get some much needed rest. If you do want to keep things to your way and own routine, best way is let hubby speak to his mum on your requirements. I never speak to my MIL with things I’m unhappy about. Usually let hubby handle it.

Read more
4y ago

Thanks for the advice. I can't imagine if they come so frequently. Do they leave v late? Yah I usually also let my hubby handle, else I'm afraid will strain the relationship. Understand the pros as well but I'm afraid of setting unrealistic expectations. Like they may expect to come every day and it becomes new norm

VIP Member

I think have a nice chat with your husband? And let him know that you prefer to have more time alone etc. if you were to keep silent, I believe these would build up and cause more stress while handling a newborn. All the best!

Read more
4y ago

Thanks! Ya I spoke to my husb already. Just not sure if he is able to manage his mother. Yah I'm already feeling the stress even before I give birth!

TapFluencer

sorry to say that more to come. unless you list or state clearly now. example next time baby is out will come back once a week etc. if not no agreement next time very headaches

4y ago

😭😭😭 Yah I also think more to come, unfortunately. Trying to use husband to manage expectation. I already told him we will go visit abit longer during weekend meal. And maybe once in a while can hv extra weekend meal. And maybe a quick dinner on 1 weekday.

Super Mum

If you get along well with MIL, having her help will be a bonus with a newborn / baby. It’s nice that she asks instead of popping by unannounced and unwelcome... 💕