Seems like Mil will want alot of time w baby

How do you guys cope with MIL who seems to want to see baby all the time? Im currently in my last trimester, and my MIL is already asking us to have meals more often. We usually have dinner once every weekend (appx 4 hours), and now, she's been asking us whether want to have lunch/dinner on other days. The last week, she asked whether want to have lunch or dinner on 3 consecutive days! We only had dinner 1 day as we had doc appointment and were very tired. I honestly don't mind visiting more often or longer hours when baby comes but not too much as we will be so tired and we want baby to have a routine. Also, we treasure our privacy at home too. How do you guys manage such a situation?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I agree that grandparents would want to see your child more when the baby is out! I personally find that it's not a bad thing, as you do get extra help when you really really need it. Or even just to go on date nights with your hubby. I would really encourage setting routines early for yourself and your baby, cause it really gives me predictable breaks. It also prevents my baby from going overtired, which happened for me and it was terrible for me. At the same time, I would suggest coming to some agreement with your hubby first on frequency / days / time of visits, and like you said to have him front the communication with his parents. Perhaps start with saying the first 3 mths is really tough (it is) and that you will definitely bring bb over to visit them when things are more stable and manageable. They'd also want to play with a well rested and cheerful bub, rather than an overtired and cranky one. Can try to say that you will keep things fluid in the beginning and you can review frequency of visits again. I did stay with my in-laws for confinement and subsequently visited them every other day after confinement. I'm currently 3mth pp and I can tell you it is very tiring to bring baby over so frequently. Just thinking about settling the bub to a calm mode for the car ride and packing the bag is tiring 😅 Additionally, I didn't think of setting a routine for my baby and we were home very late on those days, which means she slept 10-11pm. I learned the hard way that babies have incredibly short awake times, by the time you make it there it's probably sleeping time already (during first 3 months)😅

Read more