How to eat small but frequent meals in pregnancy? Can share diet please mummy !

How to eat small but frequent meals in pregnancy? I'm always feeling hungry. I'm used to eating 3 meals a day and not sure how to change the diet. I'm concerned about getting GD as my mum have 3 highs. Can share diet please mummy !

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Currently 36 weeks with GD. Started this diet around 24 weeks when I was diagnosed with GD. GD is well under control now. Breakfast - plain steamed eggs (2 eggs) OR 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 multigrain bread with cheese or butter or plain, 1 mini banana & 1 cup of soya milk (less sugar) Lunch: cai fan with less rice / western food like chicken chop / noodles (always ask for less carbs, more meat & veg) Tea break: 1 mini banana OR 1 packet Meiji plain cracker OR half cup lactation granola Dinner: oats cooked with threadfin fish or chicken breast. Soup, vegetables and fruits. (Usually for Fridays and weekends, I’ll have 2-4 cheat meals, so I would let loose a little and have slightly more sinful food like well-done steak, beef brisket, Korean bbq, steamboat, prata, biryani, unagi don, up to 1/2 portion of dessert, etc) Supper: 1 glass of sugar-free soy milk or maternal milk (consume before 9pm) I hardly drank any carbonated, sweet or cold drinks throughout my pregnancy. I also avoided raw veg (salad), raw or half cooked eggs, sashimi and everything else that’s not fully cooked. Hope this helps.

Read more
2y ago

I take Kraft singles (any pasteurized cheese is safe for consumption). I’ve avoided all unpasteurized or soft cheese like blue cheese as it may contain bacteria that can harm my baby. For lactation cookies, I bought from mummy’s market babyfair, it’s called clookies. There’s no added sugar, but I think they use natural honey. I tried taking it and then did my blood sugar test, it was within normal range when I limited my serving to 1/3 cup per day (I split into two portions sometimes if I had a more sinful lunch that day so my body has time to break down whatever glucose there is). Also, it helps if u take boiled vegetables before u eat carbs/sweet stuff. Apparently it helps you break down glucose better or smth.

I eat only when I'm hungry, in small portions. e.g. any soup or fish soup, milo/milk, congee, something that's easy to digest and light. Do remember to take your prenatal vitamins to ensure you have enough nutrients in case you are not eating enough.

Go easy on the carbs, maybe 1/2 of the usual portion. Can consider oats/nuts/fruits/milo/milk in between after your meal. But if you don’t have MS/GD issues, just eat normally. Don’t need to specifically eat in smaller meals 😊.

Don’t eat white rice/noodles if possible.. then you’ll be hungry more often and eat more frequently(2-3 hourly). Keep healthy snacks like whole meal bread, oats, etc. the amount of carb can spike your blood sugar as well.