How can I tell if I am being a good mother?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

A lot of mothers doubt themselves on their decisions and then worry if they are being good mothers. For example, working mothers may feel they are "bad" mothers for not being around to take care of their child during working hours. SAHMs may feel like they are "bad" mothers for cooking a meal their child refuses to eat, or when disciplining their child. It would probably be a question which you will ask yourself many times over. For me, if my child grows up to be a confident individual who contributes to society whilst being empathetic to the people around her, I would count myself as having done my part as a mother.

Read more

Im sure every single one of us have asked ourselves this question. Well i always say im a bad mom cum good mum. And im proud of it. We all do want and do our best even if its not within our means. As mothers our intentions are all the same. Who would want to be a bad mom. End of the day, we want our kids to be loved, happy with the right morals. Isnt that the simplest yet hardest thing to impart to our kiddos. Its easier to say hey, study well. With that said, no mom is a bad mom. We are all good moms. Cheers.

Read more

Everyone has a different take on what a good mother should be. Some thinks that providing the best and only the best is good enough whereas some think that sacrificing her career to spend time with her kids is good enough. There is no right or answer. It all boils down to what you believe in. For me personally, as long as my kids grow up to be useful, independent people with respect, loyalty and humility who loves their family, I think I've done my job.

Read more

You measure any work done by checking the outputs. How is your kid coming along? Is he/she turning out to be what you expected of? Then you're going on right direction. Some specific values I'd want to see in my kid would be - respect people - put focus, on whatever you're doing - not too demanding or spoiled/rich kinda behavior Extra qualities I'd love would be - to make him/her an explorer, never say no, just try things once tough or easy

Read more

This motherhood thing is strange isn't it? It's the oldest, most natural thing that can happen to a woman; yet NO ONE can put it in a template. How much time we spend at home, if we bring the kids out..the food we give them, the food we dont give them..the things we buy, the things we swear we never would.. none of it matters so much.. The fact that you asked, means you wanna be, and that is all that matters. :)

Read more

Sometimes i do wonder i did not do my best as a mum. Like getting my child to do some acad work is difficult and I do wonder is it he's bored of me or what as he dont really listen to my instructions. Then one day I told him his mum is a bad mum and he said "No! My mummy is a good mummy!" I guess kids just love us unconditionally regardless how bad we think of ourselves.

Read more

All mums have different experiences. For me personally, I feel that if my child grows up having a strong sense of responsibility, empathy, kindness and a sense of individuality, then I think I did a good job in raising her to the best of my ability. As long as your child is happy and content with having you as his or her mum, then you're doing it right :)

Read more

I don't think anything tangible will be able to tell you that you're doing a good job. Its just a feeling. You will know it. Instilling the right values and beliefs in your children and seeing it shine through them is probably the best way. Seeing their happiness, and smiles on their faces always tells you that you're doing something right hey?

Read more

I don't think there is a fit-all answer for this question. We can't really measure this with anything tangible because different mothers have different experiences. But I reckon if you love your child unconditionally, do your utmost for them and seeing your child happy makes you happy, then it's all good :)

Read more

An incredibly subjective answer. Sometimes the perception or whether or not a Mum is doing a good job, is dependant on society, what others think, and through comparisons between them and other families. Perhaps this is worthy to note when thinking of whether or not you're doing a good job.