Latching - how to tell if supply increased

I'm a low supply mum who mostly pumps 40ml in one session from both breasts. Then, my lactation consultant advised me to go full latching, to increase my supply. I'm currently doing so. 1) But I wonder, how can I tell if my supply has increased when I'm fully latching? 2) My baby needs about 100ml intake, and drinks up to 150ml in the middle of the night for a longer stretch of sleep. I don't latch in the middle of the night as my baby can sleep more than 3 hours. Instead I pump in the middle of the night every 3 hours --- my pump amount has increased to 60-80ml. But this is still lower than my baby's required intake. Does this mean my baby has been drinking less than she should when I latch her in the day? Instead of drinking 100ml from my breasts, is she only getting 60 to 80ml as per my pump? Should I try to top up with a bottle of my expressed breast milk after every latch?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We can tell if our breastmilk supply is sufficient for baby through the number of wet diapers and weight gain. A breast pump is never a good indicator of the amount of milk producing. Further your baby is more efficient at draining your breasts than any pump available on the market. Here are some great infographics and articles: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ If baby falls asleep at the breast or just unlatches on her own, it means she’s content and has drunk enough.

Read more

mommy unli latch lang nag proproduce lang din po tayo ng milk depende lang sa demand ni baby, Law of demand and supply. Tapos mommy maliit pa po ang size ng baby kaya okay lang po yan. then minsan nag lalatch ang baby dahil gusto niya ng comfort di lang dahil sa gutom siya 😉

Super Mum

Here’s a good infographic regarding baby’s output in relation to direct latching and feeding breastmilk.

Post reply image
3y ago

hi thanks for responding! I posted this question. do you have a link to this image?