Negative responses when revealing gender

Honestly quite disappointed by some elders' immediate responses when we told them we are expecting a girl (first child). So my question is: Anyone faced similar comments? Pls share! **Most replies here are advocating 'just ignore', 'don't be bothered'. 😂 Haha, but my question is NOT 'Should I ignore them?' Of course I smiled and ignored them out of courtesy! But still bothered, and wondering if any mummy is in the same boat, to feel less alone and less frustrated in this pretty uncommon situation! And yes of cos hub & I will love our girl all the same.** Instead of congratulatory words, these were their responses. FIL went "Oh, 不要紧 la (never mind)." Uh, what is there even to mind in the very first place? He's never talked about the pregnancy since then, no small talk, no concern. Nothing. SIL went, "Oh, what did Father say about you having a girl?" the very moment we told her we are having a girl. I guess we all knew FIL would rather have a grandson for his first grandchild. Aunt went, "Oh...next one can have a boy." Wow. As if we didn't do a good job this time but oh we can try to excel next time. Huh(?!)

38 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same plight as u. When my own mother was telling me “oh, never mind la girl or boy is the same!” In the first place i didn even mind that i am expecting a baby girl. More like my own parents who mind on the gender just that they didn voice it out. And commented to have a second child soon to have a baby boy when i am still expecting my first child. I know it is damn annoying to receive such comments but end of the day we just have to learn to ignore senseless feedback from the elders.

Read more