Hi Parents! What do you think of Sex Education at a young tender age (primary school) ? For myself, I feel that "Curiosity Kills the Cat". My parents were never very intimate in our presence. There were lovingly sweet. But they explain to us that only husband and wife are allowed to hug and kiss each other intimately. When we watch TV together, we were told to close our eyes whenever there are intimate (kissing) scenes or they would change the channel for awhile. But back then, I don't remember much shows which have intimacy. Only after 11pm. Now, it is different though. There are so much shows that teach about romance, BGR and intimacy, even cartoons.. As for me, I never knew about sexual desires till we had sex education at primary 5 & indeed I started becoming curious & exploring. & I just keep wishing that Sex Education is not too detailed especially the levels of intimacy because that is where kids get ideas to do it and challenge each other.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Infancy: Up to two years Toddlers should be able to name all the body parts including the genitals. Most two-year-olds know the difference between male and female, and can usually figure out if a person is male or female. Early childhood: Two to five years old Children should understand the very basics of reproduction: a man and a woman make a baby together, and the baby grows in the woman’s uterus. Children should understand their body is their own. Teach them about privacy around body issues. They should know other people can touch them in some ways but not other ways. Middle childhood: Five to eight years old Children should have a basic understanding that some people are heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. They should also know what the role of sexuality is in relationships. Children should know about the basic social conventions of privacy, nudity, and respect for others in relationships. Children should be taught the basics about puberty towards the end of this age span, as a number of children will experience some pubertal development before age 10. Children’s understanding of human reproduction​ should continue. This may include the role of sexual intercourse. Tween years: Nine to 12 years old In addition to reinforcing all the things above they have already learned, tweens should be taught about safer sex and contraception. Tweens should understand what makes a positive relationship and what makes for a bad one. Tweens should also learn to judge whether depictions of sex and sexuality in the media are true or false, realistic or not, and whether they are positive or negative. Teenagers: 13 to 18 years old Teens are generally very private people. However, if parents have spoken to their child early about sex increases the chance that teens will approach parents when difficult or dangerous things come up.

Read more
VIP Member

Sexual education is something that I feel needs to be talked about a lot. From young, it is our duty as parents to teach them about their bodies, "good and bad touches" and how to protect themselves etc. Most parents think it's "too adult" or "inappropriate" to talk to their kids about this until much older - but I feel it's much better heard from parents than to be searching on your own. As with most "adult things", our kids would be able to better appreciate and benefit from it if we are more open in talking about them! I'm a single parent, got pregnant at 18 and the father left as soon as he knew about it - no, I'm not proud of what happened and no, I don't mean that I encourage it in any way - but I wished my parents were more open about it. I didn't know where to turn to for help, who to talk to, what I should do etc - all sexual education ever teaches is abstinence and they make it so awkward that everyone tries to avoid it. If people (parents, schools, government, organizations etc) are more open to talking about it, there wouldn't be as many teens struggling with coping about what happens after - whether it was consensual or not.

Read more

Personally, I feel that a large part is also dependent on how comfortable you are, as a parent, with regard to the topic. If you are uncomfortable discussing the topic in details openly with your children, it may end up sending a wrong message. It is natural that children will become curious as they go through puberty. And I feel that it is important that parents are the ones giving them information on how to protect themselves, and respect others. So it will be good to still have a discussion on it when a child reaches the appropriate age. If one is uncomfortable with going into any details, the important massage would be how to respect themselves, respect others, and learn to be discerning. Just my two cents.

Read more

In this day and age where information is readily available everywhere, I think it's best for a child to get properly educated about the birds and the bees at a young age. And it should be done in school, in an educational, factual and informative manner. When I was younger, sex and pretty much anything relating to the reproductive parts were a taboo. When I got my period, I would get superstitions instead of an actual explaination of what happened. I, for one, do not want my child to grow up in that environment. Sex is a biological phenomenon and the more we treat it as taboo, the more uninformed kids will get and this might just lead to bad decisions and even worst consequences.

Read more

There are age appropriate ways to explain things at appropriate times. There are many more books around that help parents frame the topic with kids too. I too think that it's better to have factual explanations, than things pieced together from friends or the internet, which may not be accurate, may be flat out wrong, or may not be how you want to convey the facts. Also, by doing so, you open the door for your kids to come to you with questions... Vs feeling like they can't approach you for whatever reason. Again I would much rather they come to me than go elsewhere.

Read more
4y ago

I wanted to add that I’ve found “the care and keeping of you” very useful for my girls. They have a version for younger girls and one for older girls. The same series also has books about manners, dealing with “friend” problems and bullying, managing money, manners - Super helpful to read together and for them to reference on their own.

Its best to educate our children at a young age. You can start with our body parts and make it a casual thing instead of saying flower for the vulva and bird for the penis. Its never wise to give other names, we should name the thing or anything right. I always tell my son, to wash his body, neck, penis etc. And i go to the library and tell him about books as well with pictures. Nevertheless he does laugh and hoo ha about it sometimes. During moments like this ill ignore.

Read more

Sex Education at a young tender age (primary school) is definitely good for the kids. I started to share with my gal the parts of her body and the processes that she will go through as young as K1. She may not understand fully now but will eventually do. In fact, when she grows older, now in Primary 2, she remembers what she asked and when in doubts, she will ask for confirmation. They choice of words used are very very important.

Read more

Better to hear from the parent than on the tv... Buy a nice book, it can make it easier. Good luck