Hi Parents! What do you think of Sex Education at a young tender age (primary school) ? For myself, I feel that "Curiosity Kills the Cat". My parents were never very intimate in our presence. There were lovingly sweet. But they explain to us that only husband and wife are allowed to hug and kiss each other intimately. When we watch TV together, we were told to close our eyes whenever there are intimate (kissing) scenes or they would change the channel for awhile. But back then, I don't remember much shows which have intimacy. Only after 11pm. Now, it is different though. There are so much shows that teach about romance, BGR and intimacy, even cartoons.. As for me, I never knew about sexual desires till we had sex education at primary 5 & indeed I started becoming curious & exploring. & I just keep wishing that Sex Education is not too detailed especially the levels of intimacy because that is where kids get ideas to do it and challenge each other.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are age appropriate ways to explain things at appropriate times. There are many more books around that help parents frame the topic with kids too. I too think that it's better to have factual explanations, than things pieced together from friends or the internet, which may not be accurate, may be flat out wrong, or may not be how you want to convey the facts. Also, by doing so, you open the door for your kids to come to you with questions... Vs feeling like they can't approach you for whatever reason. Again I would much rather they come to me than go elsewhere.

Read more
4y ago

I wanted to add that I’ve found “the care and keeping of you” very useful for my girls. They have a version for younger girls and one for older girls. The same series also has books about manners, dealing with “friend” problems and bullying, managing money, manners - Super helpful to read together and for them to reference on their own.