hi ladies, do you believe in helping the child "like" their new teacher by getting the teacher to "buy a gift" for the child? the gift is bought by the parents but the teacher will do the action of presenting it to the child.

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Well! I think if the teacher agrees in doing this, she is not a confident teacher. As parents I can understand our concern and also can relate to the idea that you got, but I don't think as a teacher I would have approved of it. Since, when teacher resort to tactics like this, and that too, not thinking of something like this on her own but parents coming up with this. I mean, if the kid is not fond of the teacher, the teacher should herself think and should have come up with some idea so that the kid would become comfortable with her. The teacher can think of spending more time with the kid in school or giving more attention to the kid, or interacting with the kid more and engaging him in the fun activities. During lunch breaks, she can ask if the kid can share his food with her. I remember being a kid, when teacher used to eat from the kid's tiffin in school, kids used to be on cloud nine. And we used to think that teacher likes us that is why she eats from our tiffin. So, I think these ideas can be put in action to break the ice between the teacher and the kid.

Read more

Respect and admiration cannot be bought. This is what I believe in. I just feel that this act may hurt your child in the long run. It will give him/ her the impression that material things is associated with liking someone or perhaps loving someone. You cannot equate one with the other. It's like saying "Come, if you give me a kiss, I will give you this apple". I don't like for strangers to have this kind of relationship with my child. You cannot force your child to like someone with a gift. I think that being a teacher or a child educator is a gift. If you have patience and love for your job and the kids you're caring for, then anyone will like you, whether you are a bearer of a gift or not. Personally, I would say give your kid time. Let him/ her adjust to the teacher. If they have chemistry, then they will have a good and healthy relationship. If your kid still dislikes the teacher after months of being under his/ her care, then something is amiss here and follow your intuition to know what is wrong. Just my two cents :-)

Read more
VIP Member

I don't believe in bribery from a young age. Children will love the gift, for sure. However, a good and inspiring teacher does not need a present to "win over" the child. Is the teacher supposed to constantly gift the child presents to maintain his interest and favour? My kindergarten teacher did not give me a gift when we first met, but I am still in contact with her and brought my daughter to visit her - she's still teaching at the same centre! Yes, children can tell and are very innocent.

Read more

I will acknowledge my child's feelings and let her know that such negative feelings will be present in everyone. I will explain that we cannot expect everyone to like us, hence we are not able to like everyone that we see. We are Christians. So I will tell my child that we should all have a loving heart. Pray to God that He will remove negative feelings from our hearts and give us room to love this teacher, so that my child will obey her teacher and be a good student.

Read more

I have not heard of this practice and I seriously think that it should not be encouraged. You wouldn't want your child growing up to expect gifts from every new teacher he or she meets. A person of authority should be respected and a relationship should be nurtured by day to day communication, not gifts. This practice will not be healthy for you child's social skills in the future, I feel.

Read more

Apart from giving gift by the parents through the teacher, why not organise some home dinner and invite the teacher over to let the child gets to know more about the teacher? Sometimes when my kid tell me if they don't like a particular teacher, I will ask them why and try to advise from there. E.g. did you make noise in class that's why teacher scolded you.

Read more
VIP Member

I personally believe that that may not work in the long run IF the teacher is not a good teacher. Children are very real and innocent. This gift giving may give the child a good first impression but if the teacher is not a good teacher, the child will show his/her dislike immediately.

That is not advisable. You may end up teaching your child something different. It would be better if the teacher can have bonding time with activities together with the child. That would be a much appropriate approach.

I don't believe in doing such a thing as a parent. A good teacher I believe also wouldn't agree with doing such a thing. The teacher would be very busy liking every child if every parent did it.

erm..so far nvr get that idea..better not its consider like a lie..its better that he or she learn it as from there she or he will understands.