My son shared with me today that a few boys in his class keep raising their middle finger at the teacher when he is not looking. How do I deal with this? Should I inform the teacher, or simply just educate my child on what is right and wrong- but this makes me feel like I am doing wrong by not alerting the other kids' parents on their behaviour. On the other hand, if I inform them about this incident, my son may not trust me again. Help!

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm not sure how old you child and his schoolmates are but juvenile behavior like this is always expected in children. I'm not advocating it, but it won't soon leave the realm of your child's school. As a former educator, I can say that I've seen a fair share of behavior similar to this. Trust me, your son's educator knows just how to deal with this type of situation without calling notice to you or your son. In short, unless your son is telling you that his classmates' behavior is hindering his ability to pay attention I don't see the need to tell the teacher. In my professional opinion, there are no classrooms on God's green earth that have not been exposed to one or two juvenile distractions. Educators are trained to discipline and handle distractions like this accordingly. So, don't worry about informing the teacher unless it's truly become a huge burden on the classroom as a whole. If your son is unfamiliar with this or any obscenities, you need to discuss with him the significance of the act. You certainly don't want him to be in trouble for anything silly like this. Never be afraid to reiterate the values of right and wrong behavior.

Read more

You can first educate your child that this kind of behaviour is disrespectful towards the teacher. And from my own experience, I always make my kid understand 'right and wrong' giving her examples where she and I are the characters. So, you can try doing the same, as how would he feel if someone does that to your mom or dad! Rest, you can meet the teacher or the principal and discuss the concern and can have the agreement that they will just hold some sessions where they would have discussion over moral science. Where kids can be told that teachers are aware of everything they do, not citing the particular example. So, the message can be put across the kids without your kid or you being in the scene anywhere.

Read more

Help your child firstly to stay away from such problem creating kids. Send a note to teacher asking them to change your son's seat away from where he is. Sooner or later, these kids will get in trouble and you wouldn't want your kid to be in the middle of this. Such kids can get others in trouble just to get out of their mess. Regards to telling teachers or parents...u need to guage the situation that it doesn't get ur kid in trouble. U can write an anonymous letter to the principal revealing tht this issue exists. The managment will do the needful.

Read more

i would say first speak to your son about how this is very disrespectful and also how this gesture is a mark of disrespect in general. next, speak to the teacher and staff and inform them this is happening, but don't take any names. also, request them to handle this with care so that next time on, students don't shy away from discussing with their parents. i am sure the management will deal with it the right way.

Read more

I would suggest first speaking to your child and explaining to him that those are inappropriate behavior. Then, also tell your child that you will be informing his teachers about it because his friends are being rude and disrespectful to the teacher. This will prevent your child from feeling that you have betrayed his trust. This way, the issue will also be addressed and handled properly.

Read more
VIP Member

you can just educate your child 1st .. tell him whats qrong with the middle finger.. and also tell him that its not nice to bickker behind a persons back... to add on... manners starts at home... only if things get ugly... u have to reason with him of to why u shud bring the matter to the teacher... by then probably he will have trust in u more... 🙂

Read more

you will have to do both, as in teach him that this is not right, and even if his friends do this he should definitely do it. and also inform him that you will bring this to the notice of the teacher but without taking names, so that in case he comes to know that someone mentioned it to the teacher, he doesn't feel betrayed by you.

Read more

Talk to your son and explain that this kind of behavior is unacceptable and disrespectful. Start from that and I believe that the conversation will end up that you’re son will trust you whatever decision you will make.