“Wages” for in-laws or parents

Hi, is your baby/child looked after by your parents or in-law? If yes, do you pay them monthly, this is apart frm the expenses incurred by baby such as diaper, food, formula, etc

44 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i pay my mother in law $1000 / mthly. at times, we will bring the family out for meals. this includes meals for me and my wife too! however, expenses on diapers, food etc are bared on us. i think you can give based on your limit and budget, do not give too much stress to urself. i believe all grandparents will dote on the young ones and will not bear to see u n ur partner in hard situation!

Read more

It really depends on individual's financial situation. My hubby gives my mil who stays w us $1200 a month. She usu buys the daily groceries for us. We buy other daily necessities & some groceries ourselves on weekends but we don't really draw a clear line who buys what. We also hv a helper to do housework & our 2 kids go to half-day kindergarten.

Read more

Last time my kids also take care by my mother, I will paid her monthly fee but is reasonable also you must see you mother or mil normally got income or not, if not you can give a bit more if not other sibling will a long things to say. Take care children not easy 24hours must alert, very stress and tired.

Read more

Yup, I gave my Mom extra on top of her monthly "pocket money" as she buys foods for my baby's meals. As for the amount given, it's more like a token of appreciation like some parents who had replied earlier. Because they also spend time to take care of our LO. Diapers, formula, wet wipes are settled by me.

Read more

Personall i think a good $800-$1000 is good if budget allows. Else, maybe say ard $500 minimum. Their time and love, responsibility to take care of baby isn't easy and simple. Appreciate them foe their unconditional love for you and your child.

Read more

You can consider giving monthly together with the monthly allowance you have been giving. As for the necessities, you can buy then bring over the stuff needed. Or, if you need them to buy the necessities, then set aside another amount for that.

Yes I give a monthly allowance to my mum who helps take care of my girl. She also buy ingredients for her porridge & food too. Diapers, milk powder & other baby stuff like washing detergent etc, I will buy myself. It's the heart that count

You can consider giving monthly together with the monthly allowance you have been giving. As for the necessities, you can buy then bring over the stuff needed. Or, if you need them to buy the necessities, then set aside another amount for that.

8y ago

Thanks for replying, is there a "market rate" ?

I "Paid" my mom $650/= when she helped me to look after my boy. But of coz she didn't ask for it but afterall she still needed it for expenses too. Cun be expected them to help us be the caregiver for FREE!!!

Giving my mum $1.5-$2k a month but she's in charge of the grocery as well.. Other perishables are either purchase online or by myself once or twice a month .. i buy the FM and Diapers too..