Getting rid of mommy’s germaphobic

It is my first pregnancy. Before I learn anything about baby caring, I need to learn about hand washing and sterilising things. After my baby was newly born, daddy was tested Covid Positive, although it was proven as false positive afterward , the week of quarantine with baby has brought the germaphobic habits and thoughts of mine eg wiping clean and sterilising the house. Soon, the fear of Covid develops into the fear of germs, I am scared of carrying baby after cooking, as I am worry that the fluid from meat, fish and raw vegetable might contaminate my clothes and baby will take in the germs as she is still breastfeeding. After I clean the toilet, I feel not clean to handle baby if I don’t bathe and clean myself thoroughly. I am feeling guilty if I don’t wash my hands before handing baby & her surroundings(eg toys, bed, clothes). In reality, baby needs mommy. I am the only one taking care of baby. If I wake up early to cook and clean, baby might wake up anytime. They cannot wait till I finish cooking/cleaning toilet, then shower myself before putting on the new clothes. Even if I don’t shower and just change my clothes, baby will cry and fall down from bed. 😭😭😭 Sometimes I am even scared to touch any surfaces myself as I am worry that baby will be exposed to Covid or any germs that harm her. When I fly back home, I am worry when my family carry baby without washing their hands. The fear of this invisible things has caused me a lots of worry. Is there any similar experiences from mommy? How do you get rid of the habits and fears when the news about COVID is always lingering although it is already declared as endemic? I need to get rid of my own germaphobe before my baby is grown up enough to understand and develop germiphobic habits like me. If you have seek for professional advice, your referral of the doctor or psychologist is very appreciated. #advicepls #firstmom

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You need to let go a little, don’t be too hard on yourself else you’ll be suffering. Good and proper hygiene should suffice. Do you have a playpen(or bed guards)? If not, get one. Put baby inside with a playmat while you cook/clean/eat. Wait for someone to get home if you intend to shower. My baby personally got covid and kids recover very very quickly compared to adults and they get the antibodies from covid as well. You need to relax and slow down. Take it easy, one step at a time. Try to come to terms with yourself that our kids will eventually grow up and need to go to school (even more germs), explore the surroundings etc etc. They need that to build their immune system. If you’re worried, can give probiotics. Over protective will only lead to backfire. (Eg slightly exposed to germs, baby’s body won’t have enough immunity to fight the germs). I’m not saying baby should fall, but little bumps and falls here and there are part of growing up as well. Surely when they are hurt, we feel the pain as well but we need to loosen abit. Stay strong mama, you can do it! 💪🏻💪🏻

Read more
VIP Member

Exposing baby to germs will only help their immune system. They develop stronger bodies and health. Dun shield them from everything. They won’t develop resilience. Then if something big happens, they will not be able to handle it. Breast milk also has a lot of good stuff in it to help our babies grow stronger too. It is tailor made in our bodies juz for our babies. Furthermore, Covid isn’t the only thing we will need to deal with and there will most likely be more of such unknowns in future. We will also never be able to eradicate germs entirely. So, maybe you need to relax and take things like how you would way before pregnancy. Babies aren’t as weak as we make them out to be. My 3 breastfed babies, all v strong tdy. And I din really bother about sterilizing or germs around, etc. Juz basic cleanliness, as how I normally would, sufficed already. 😊

Read more
VIP Member

A mounting body of research suggests that exposing infants to germs may offer them greater protection from illnesses such as allergies and asthma later on in life. You need to breathe and relax and be rest assured that even if you take all the required measures your child will still be exposed to germs so do you leave best but don’t overdo it..

Read more

If u r always anxious and it's affecting Ur daily functioning, pls seek psychiatric help. U can always simply go to polyclinic to get referred to see psychiatrist at any restructured hospital as subsidy patient. If u r ok with being private patient and pay more, just call up e respective hospital directly and make an appt.

Read more