RANT. I think I am having the laziest monster in law ever. My MIL is someone who doesn't cook, doesn't like to cook, doesn't want to cook person because o her washing a plate is a chore. Cleaning up the whole kitchen after a meal is a chore. My husband grow up not eating home cooked meals except for CNY, or on his birthday, they don't even sit together for a meal. I am currently living with in laws ever since I gave birth and btw I love to cook for my husband. Well in fact its better to eat home cooked food isn't it? We haven't got our own place yet. My MIL said she will help me during confinement and cook but by the 3rd day he say he was running out of ideas. She only cooked 2 soups which I told her what to put in, and that was it. The rest of the month I shopped at supermarket , cooked and clean up, take care of my newborn feed, clean, bathe, pump milk with my c sect wound still not healed yet. I at most have 2 hours sleep a day. Did she try to help looking after baby, sure she did. When I am cleaning baby, she stand next to me and watch, when I was bathing she stand next to me and splash water on baby, when I needed her to help when I took a break with husband, I came back with baby diaper not changed and she said that she knew he soiled his diaper and waited for me to cone home and change. When she feed baby, baby was basically sucking air. When baby was bloated and crying, instead of burping, she force feed more, or insist me on feeding him. When my milk supply ran low cause I was down with flu, she insisted my milk is drying up and want me to switch to formula totally. Among all this, she went around the family to spread untrue things about me to father in law, brother in law and my husband which caused unhappiness. This morning I went to the kitchen and found that she kept the container used for storing rice away, there was still some rice in the container for 1-2 more cooking. She have this dirty habit of throwing things away, even if its not hers to begin with. This is her way of telling me not to cook anymore as even if I were to cook only soup, she will instruct my FIL to scrub the kitchen floor. My poor father in law does laundry, ironing, clean up kitchen while she behaves like a Buddha sitting in front of the computer watching her Korean soap opera. I am not asking for any advise or sympathy here, i m just sick of her. Sick and tired of her and I can't stand even the sight of her or hear her voice.

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my mil is also very lazy. I feel u. during my confinement which she is suppose to help me... on the first day she told me when she gave birth to her 3 kids in the past she doesn't need confinement.. so she thinks don't need to confine also can... she will cook a dish in the morning and go back home... and tell me that dish can eat till dinner time.. :-( I ask if she can help baby shower as I heard that confinement is better not to touch water. her reply is I should do it.. touch a bit is ok de.. don't need to shower so long for baby. or if I don't feel like showering for baby is ok too.. cos baby will not be dirty anyway... haiz...

Read more

In that case, is your hubby as hands on as your FIL? My only solution, move out. It was almost the best decision ever to me even though I have to do everything by myself. But it works. Since you have been doing everything by yourself, I think you can manage. Talk to your husband about you needing his help. Try not to depend on your mil cos she is useless and makes ur blood boil even more. If you move out, you can do as you wish, your house, your rules. Hang in thr. I only got my rental flat when lo was 7mo.

Read more

Thank you all mummies. nowadays if there are any arguements it's always because of his mother. I stopped talking to her totally, disregarding her existence. It's rude. But it saves me from going insane. Talking to husband means fighting about it. I was asked to get out and leave baby behind. Abuse hurled at me by the man whom I thought will protect me. I am hurt inside and out.

Read more
5y ago

stand by all the necessary stuffs at your own parents place then next time just bring baby along back

I feel you! Having the same type of mil as you! My mil even throw away all my breastmilk as she want my baby sleep longer (as in STTN) during the first week she is born. My fil also one kind. Totally can understand your stress but do take care of yourself and relax as I got postnatal depression due to all those stress.

Read more
8y ago

I got post natal after 1 week of giving birth. crying uncontrollably at times, esp when I was Aline and hubby was out for work. I can't help but feel helpless, my parents are no longer here, no one to help me. thankfully my hubby was able to help me emotionally, that gave me lots of positivity. it wasn't easy, not going to be easy or the next few years either. sometimes I feel they treat my baby like a toy, telling him not to cry at night when he wasn't even. month old, and compared him to their

Sorry to hear about your mil. You need to stay strong and positive. Confinement period is extremely overwhelming with new baby, breastfeeding, lack of sleep, new routine... Pls ensure you talk to your husband and ask him to help you when you're tired. Our mental health is most important. Take care.

Read more

I think my MIL is worst than yours. I had alots of argument with my hubby mostly because of her. She gamble everyday and come back home steal our money. Now we will lock our bedroom door whenever we go out. She did not even help to lookout for my kids altho we are living under one roof.

Big hugs to you .. I had c-sect for both my pregnancies and I can understand the physical pain during recovery and yet still having to juggle so many things .. must be tough on you dear.. pls feel free to ventilate here .. we are all here to lend a listening ear to u :)

VIP Member

hi i feel you.. and my hubby mum is even crazier than yours. to the extent, i dont acknowledge her as my MIL. she is very negative and always want things to go her ways. and super money minded. so my hubby and i decided to rent a place instead while waiting for our house 🙆

Oh my dear, all you need is a listening ear, someone who will listen emphatically. You must be tired, im sure you are. Nothing i say will make you feel better. I just want to add, we are here anytime if you need to rant, just holla here at Parent Town :)

A big hug mommy. Pls talk to your husband and also talk it out and let it go with your best friends. Pls don't bottle it up inside. By the way, it is good that you rant. You need a listening ear or some reading eyes. Take good care.