Mom In Law

Just feeling annoyed but not sure where to share... Mom in law asked me n my 2 boys 4 yrs old and 3 mths old to come over to my bro inlaw house. No occasion. Just that she is going there so she asked us to come over. I agreed coz i thought its in the afternoon. Turns our she arrived there at 7plus and expect me to come over soon after. ? My husb is working though so its just us 3. My baby needs to sleep by 10 so that i can REST. Im just surprised and upset that she was being self centered and not thinking of my situation. If she really wants to meet my baby why not come over to my place then? ?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Yes understand. They jz want to see e kids n didn’t think far that kids must sleep at certain timing. They think “aiya, kids can sleep here anytime. It’s own family.” Different generation n parenting style. I would be annoyed too I would check with her each time is she will be there by certain timing, just communicate with her that kids needs to sleep by 10pm and you need to rest. Also kids sleep late, mummies like us. Will be more exhausted. Or you can go, definitely anytime in e day. But just let her know that if she reached at 7-8pm. You just call her n say you need to rest/unwell etc need to go back. At least you make an effort to go there with 2 kids ( sometimes this is to avoid in law comments ) If bil house is far. you tell her, hands are full to bring two kids n travel far. If she wanna visit u n kids, jz come over with bil? If bil house is near. At any day when you are free n feeling fresh. Or go with whole family on weekends

Read more
VIP Member

Abit late just wanted to check.. Is this the first grandchild in the extended family? I realised my own parents had to have a mindset change when my first child came and he was the first grandchild on my side of the family. Although they were a tactful about it, I realise it took some time for them to get used to family gatherings ending earlier than it used to be. Let MIL know what works for your family and what doesn't and stick to it. They'll get used to it after a while, ignore the commentary in the neantime.

Read more
4y ago

Yikes. Well, stick to your schedule then. If she can't understand then that on her, not you. You have a right to protect your sanity and children's bedtimes. 10pm is already late by some standards, my #1 used to conk out at 7pm before he went to preschool (no kidding). Now #2's bedtime is usually at most 9pm before he gets cranky.

Understand your situation but sometimes the elderly also forget as it’s been so long since their children were babies. Maybe you could avoid this by asking what time they plan to be there before you agree to go over and remind them about the timing you have to go home as the kids have to sleep, etc.

I just msg her n said that my no. 1 fell asleep after shower and milk. I didnt went at all.. She was unsatisfied with it she called to ask. How come he fell asleep coz he always sleeps late. I just said i dont know. Lol

VIP Member

i have been there and i felt annoyed too, i will just tell her the truth if i cant make it, i mean like talk to her nicely.

Hey, I can understand. I think better to talk to her about this and also do talk to your husband as well about this

VIP Member

I feel you. Maybe you can try explaining that your baby need to sleep soon so you can’t go over.

VIP Member

maybe can explain and talk nicely to her?

Super Mum

You can make some excuses and dont go

VIP Member

Just be Frank about it. Good luck.