Do fathers really need to be in the delivery room during the birth of their children?

148 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I'd say it largely depends on how supportive you want to be for your wife, but also whether you have conditions that do not allow you to be in the room. Most women would want their husband in the delivery room together because it's a really emotional moment and there's no better support than a husband being there because you're having a baby together - I'm a single mum and I didn't have that kind of support, so it's something I'd want for my next pregnancy (which by the time I'd hopefully have someone to settle down with). It also helps a lot to be there because well, your wife has been through over 9 months of pregnancy and she's literally giving her life to you and your child so ... it's best that you're there! However, with that said, there are some exceptions. For example, I dated men who have an intense fear of blood or "gruesome" graphics so they'd probably faint if they were in the delivery room - in such cases, it's best for you to maybe just wait outside, or request to only be by your wife's side so you don't witness the birth process itself!

Read more

giving birth makes u a mother and ur husband the father...these are role transition. we always think about the woman, but never realize what a man goes through. for the mom, bcoz its a natural process, her body has reserved all the energy and courage she needs for the delivery...for the father it's a feeling totally unexplained,esp as men are not vocal. so this decision should be discussed between husband and wife whilst consulting the doctor too. a husbands feelings also need to be considered, esp if he's unprepared to witness the total process, then the wife should show respect to that discomfort and not force him or call him names like"u chickened out" etc..or to emotionally blackmail him to make him feel small and uncooperative. it's true that he's a man, but hes also a human being who may feel squirmish in such a situation. so joint effort is needed but with due consideration, understanding and love for each other...

Read more

haha...there's no need reall ;) As long as you want to have your husband in the delivery room, it's fine, but it's up to both of you to decide about it. Most hospitals and birthing centers in India don't allow the dad in the delivery room, so if you really are planning on it, I suggest you check beforehand. Also, in my case, my hubby was very clear that he has no intentions of witnessing the birth. It can also be traumatising for them to see so much blood, as well as the entire procedure, whether vaginal or c-sec. As long as he is around, even outside the door, I think it's fine :)

Read more

Why not I say!! It is a life changing event in our lives and who better to share it with than your partner? In india it is not a common practice to allow the husband in the delivery room but a lot of private hospitals are permitting it nowdays.My husband was by my side in the OT during the birth of both my kids and gave me a detailed account of the C Sections - haha. Amd I'm so glad he was there. Having aaid that, it is still a personal choice and shoild be discussed beforehand.

Read more

Personally. I want my husband to be with me when i deliver our baby soon. But we didnt know yet if the LR procedure allows husband to be in LR with the wife. Plus, i didnt know if my husband can resist the hectic and panic inside LR. Didnt quite show during other time so we decided to let him be with me inside LR but if he cant stand the panic-hectic/having weak knees, i think its okay if he want to wait outside.

Read more

it's a personal choice and i don't think there is no compulsion. similarly, the woman should also not expect it from her man, and should leave it to him. there is barely much to do in the delivery room, and even though it is amazing to see your baby being born, it is equally amazing to see your baby for the first time when the doctor hands the baby over.

Read more

It's up to personal preferences I feel. Personally, I'd want my partner to be there for me. Will be good to have someone to scream at haha. But that being said, I have friends who refuse to have their husbands in the delivery room with them because of various reasons -- privacy, squeamish of blood, more of an annoyance than help.

Read more

This is totally up to you both. If you feel uncomfortable then you should talk to him, if he's not sure then he should decide if he will regret not being there later. For us, we decided to do everything together - we thought it was only fair the man can't only enjoy the fun bit, he has to go experience the whole thing!

Read more

for me yes ksi malaking support ung andun ung husband mo to cheer up on me during labor and delivery kc, sobrang nakakatakot maexperience ung ikaw lang humarap ng paglalabor mo, tpos you dont know how long it will take for the baby to come out. atleast andun ung husband mo para, isupport ka all the way.

Read more
VIP Member

Hi mommy! I gave birth via CS too and my hubby was with me all through out my operation. 😊 It's funny though because he's obviously nervous but doesn't want to admit, and I remember him asking everyone in the OR for the toilet, he needed to pee but he has to wait til the baby's out 😂

5y ago

Yes mumsh, one of which din po was the payment for the surgical gown..