Epidural. Yes or no?

To epidural or not to epidural??

83 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hey mama, really need to say this: Find out what the effects of an epidural are, the pros and cons and ask yourself if you’re okay with it. It’s better taking an epidural knowing full well what to expect than being taken by surprise at the after effects. I’ve know mothers who did better after the epi because it helped them relax and baby was out in no time too! Also, do note that a natural delivery with an epi is still a natural delivery :) While some may say that an epidural isn’t a good thing, it really is about your limits and what you’re open to so that you have the positive experience and you own your birth. I had an experience where a mum I was supporting at first was dead against an epidural. But labour was long and she was tired. Her labour stalled and she wondered why. When I asked her if she was anxious or worried about something, she mentioned that she worried that if she took an epidural, she would have failed at birthing her baby naturally. When I assured her that sometimes, it’s good to have a little help and that she was doing great, epi or no epi, and she started being open to choices and possibilities, including being okay with an epidural if she needed one, her labour continued and she pushed out her baby boy! Without the epidural! She just needed to know that there was no guilt in it and that she now had a choice! My message is that you need to love yourself and be gentle with yourself and know that whatever you choose is what’s best for you. Maybe you want to labour for as long as you want and see if you need an epi, maybe you’re dead against it...whatever the case, don’t compare. Your birth is unique to you. If you take the epidural, it was because you needed it. That’s all. Nothing wrong in it. No shame. No guilt. Birth is challenging enough as it is. We shouldn’t be trying to make it harder. Hope this helps.

Read more

At first I thought of going full natural, no epi so i can be a “real woman” going through “real original pain” of labour so that in the future, i can boast about it to my kids hoping that they will treat me better. This was what my mom told me. But i asked her if she took epi during birth, she said she did and i should consider taking too. So i guess i kind of defeated my demons (my mom). Dont worry mum, u are already facing all kinds of pain just by being pregnant and a near future mom, why put urself to more torture?

Read more
VIP Member

Really depends on your labour as well as your pain tolerance. Whether or not you get an epidural, you’re still gonna end up being a mum right? Getting an epidural doesn’t make you any less of a Mum. Personally for me, the pain was still bearable when I got my epidural at 6cm dilated. But I was exhausted from the labour already, I did not sleep for close to 2 days. Thankfully I took it, if not, I don’t think I would have the strength to push my baby out. Around 50 hours of labour

Read more
VIP Member

Personally, I feel why not? If it's your first labour, I might take more than 10 hours to 20 hours for some. Save the energy for pushing later, instead of needing assisted delivery in the end. As for sore back, it's a hole punch into your back, considered a minor injury, but with good confinement, not carrying heavy stuffs including carrying baby from cot to you needs to be helped (during your confinement), your back SHOULD recover within 6 months.

Read more

When I gave birth the first time, I wasn't given an epidural because they saw that my cervix was opening quick. I labored for 5 hrs, good thing it wasn't too long. I can say, it is a pain that can be tolerated (at least for me). I am just amazed how powerful and strong women are. We can endure everything. I can say that I am blessed to experience the all natural birth.

Read more
VIP Member

Epidural actually NO SIDE EFFECT (Many says as days goes by will make the hip bone weak) well 2 me I will say DEPENDS ON INDIVIDUALS BODY.. EXERCISE WELL MAINTAIN A GD DIET & SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT N ALSO AT TIMES GO FOR A FEET MASSAGE... should NVR have an issue wif EPIDURAL (But as I say ALL WOMANS R DIFFERENT) so final choice falls on ur own WILL ;) Gd luck

Read more

when I have a headache, I take panadol. when I am in labour, I take epidural. Why reject the advancements of medical science. Giving birth "naturally" or "all-naturally" doesn't make you a better or stronger mother. Only the next many years of motherhood will determine that (;

3y ago

that's because epidural often leads to a what is termed as the "cascading medical interventions" - i.e. iv drips, oxygen mask, pitocin (synthetic oxytocin) injection, etc etc

VIP Member

Based on my own experience, my body only feel the pain upon 3-4cm dilation. Once given epidural, the dilation took place faster within hours and was 10cm ready for birth. It may seem that epidural is viewed as not "natural birth" but easing the pain helps along the way and of course i get to see my baby sooner :)

Read more

To share with you what my gf told me when I was lying the labour ward thinking about this: gal, just take it, don’t need to think so much, don’t waste ur effort in putting with unnecessary pain. Took it immediately. No regrets. In fact I thought why in the world did I even wait so long to ask for it.

Read more

my pain tolerance is very low.. so i opt for that during my 1st pregnancy! it was amazing as i can enjoy my labor.. u will still feel the pain when u reaching the peak and when u about to push but the epidural still helps a lot prior to that or else i might not be able to endure the pain😎