Natural Delivery With Epidural Or Not

Hi all, I going to deliver in 2 weeks time. Anyone can advise, should I go for Epidural or not for natural delivery? As I heard some side effect aft injecting it.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It really depends. I delivered a week ago and learnt a lot of breathing exercises because I told myself I did not want epi. It was tolerable without pain medication for 5 hours, next 3 hours I was on laughing gas. As I was induced, everything was moving slowly and i was advised to get epidural as I had no strength. I took epidural and it helped alot. It was a long labour for me but in the end had to undergo emergency c-sect as I wasn’t progressing well. Best of luck to you. Things may not go as you plan but I pray that your baby and yourself will be safe

Read more
4y ago

Thank you

hi. i think its better for you to decide on that day itself. i was against epi during my pregnancy as i have high pain tolerance. but on that day, all went berserk. 😂 so i quickly ask for epi. for the side effects, during contractions, i did experienced shivering. after delivery then i vomitted all my plain water. for the back pain, it will come on and off but its bearable + youll be bending alot for baby needs so yeap bearable back pain (not like pregnancy back pain😁)

Read more
VIP Member

You can opt not to for now. But on the day itself and you feel like you can’t endure the pain anymore, just feel free to ask for it. I didn’t have any epidural nor laughing gas during my first delivery and I managed to endure it heh. I had no choice but take Spinal Block this round coz I delivered via c-sect and I found that I cannot bend too long. It will take a few moments before I can totally stretch my back after bending.

Read more

Depends on your pain tolerance. I opted for epidural coz I know I have a very low pain tolerance and just thinking of giving birth without it made me so anxious. I guess i made a right decision coz I had painless labour and delivery. For side effect, I just got shivering and vomitting during my labour. They said it will cause backpain but I think backpain is due to constant bending when picking up the baby or changing diaper.

Read more

It depends on how you will feel. Delivered 3 weeks ago natural without epidural. You can decide on delivery day. Just keep in mind you should decide before you will have 7 cm opening. At least I've been told if i would like epidural i need say before 7 cm. Good luck! All the best for you

Depends on your pain tolerance. For me i never reject the idea of taking epidural, and took during delivery because i cannot even take the contraction pain. 🤣

I decided not to take epidural, but then during labour, I had epidural cause I couldn't hold onto the pain (7cm dilation at the point of epudural)

VIP Member

Decide then. You wont know your pain threshold till you get there. All the best.

VIP Member

at first I didn't opt for epidural. but too painful so took it in the end

VIP Member

decide on your pain tolerance.