12 Replies

I try to avoid or minimise the usage of plastic for kids as well as adults. I don't use plastic for storing and serving cooked food. Stainless steel is a better alternative for kids and isn’t just for flatware and water bottles. For kids we use Stainless steel plates, bowls, cups, and food storage containers which are available in cute kid patterns that will keep them happy and give parents peace of mind. For plastic utensils even if it is BPA-free, there can still be harmful chemicals. While some plastics are eco-friendly and may be safe for kids, others contain harmful chemicals or cause dangerous pollution during manufacturing.

I let them use their own set of utensils until about 5 years old when they are independent enough. While your child is learning how to use a spoon, do not have her use regular adult utensils. These heavier metal utensils can hurt your child’s gums or teeth. Your child may also find them too heavy to maneuver. Instead, purchase your child’s own set of plastic, toddler-sized spoons. Toddler spoons are often tipped with soft rubber to make it easier to grip the handle.

If at home, my child uses the same utensils as we all do. I used some plastic feeding spoons till she was eight months old, but stopped once the first teeth had sprouted. When we travel, or eat out I carry her personal cutlery (stainless steel) in a plastic box, like in the picture below.

I am using calibowl for my kids. I like it as it is non-spill, it made with non-toxic, BPA-free, recycled plastic. It is very durable also. Thus, I will choose this over normal plastic utensils. You can get calibowl in different sizes and colours from Mothercare. http://calibowl.com/

For me it's not so much the material but the size. I find that kids-sized utensils, whether plastic, silicone, or metal, are easier for my daughter to use. There's much less spill than when we use regular utensils. Plus, she enjoys trying to feed herself sometimes!

I gave my child plastic utensils until about 2-3 years old as I am afraid that he will poke himself with it. You know, children like to swing anything in their hands around or sometimes even throwing it. But he started using ordinary ones after passing that phase.

Hi, Earlier, I used to buy plastic utensils and let my kid use it too. But now, I have completely stopped using plastic utensils. Plastic utensils are toxic and threat to one's health, that be a baby or an adult.

When my cousin first introduced solids to my niece, she used this utensil set gifted by someone. Now, my niece is using the regular kind of utensils as she wanted to "be the same" as everyone else.

My toddlers have their own set of utensils for toddlers talaga but sometimes we share utensils pag bigla namin sinusubuan. Preferably, I want them to use their own at all times.

VIP Member

I will let them use ordinary utensils like the ones we are using. But i will give them a wipe down with another wet tissue to remove any grease before handing to the toddlers

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles