Ask the Expert: dealing with and preventing racism

“Eww dirty”, “Chinese have slanted eyes” - Heard of these stereotypical statements/remarks about your race at least once? We all have heard stories about people being bullied, discriminated or attacked, due to their race. Imagine your child is the one in that situation, how would you feel? 🤔 As parents, you are your child’s role model and you have the ability to change their mindset 🧠 To better understand this topic, we have invited Rany Moran - Certified life coach, trained counsellor and parenting expert to answer your questions on dealing and preventing racism amongst children 🧒🏻👧🏽 We all have to start somewhere, so why not use our platform to learn more about it? Start commenting your questions before our session to be aware of what’s currently happening 🤓

Ask the Expert: dealing with and preventing racism
33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I was bullied as a child for being "different" because I was mixed, and never found a sense of belonging no matter which "group" of friends I joined. It was only till I got much older that my differences made me stand out—not stick out. How can I help my children realise this earlier?

3y ago

Hi Sarah, it helps to start nurturing your kids with a fresh perspective, and not with reflections of your past, as they may be dealing with very different (albeit) similar situations. However, you can certainly help your children identify what’s going on by telling them your own story. Experience is life's best teacher, and what better way to help your children understand and embrace their differences than by sharing all of your own. Tell them how you felt like you didn't fit in growing up, and that it's ok to stick out and stand out sometimes—that they have the power to choose their moments. Being different is being unique, and that's something special they should highlight and cherish no matter who they're with or where they go.