8 weeks old baby nursing for two hours

My baby is around 8 weeks old, during the day when I breastfeed him, he will nurse for thirty min then start to fall asleep and I will pull him off the nipple and he will be alright for two hours without showing signs of hunger(rooting, smacking of lips etc). However, when it reaches around 6pm or so, he will latch for one to two hours but still appear hungry after that and cries. Anybody experiencing this? It's so tiring to latch him so often

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

He’s probably latching for comfort rather than drinking well. You can tell from the way he suckles.. that it’s more shallow, and he’s not really swallowing much. That’s the bridging nap timing.. when baby’s transitioning from daytime to night time. They’re A LOT more cranky, the sleep drive is very low, the awake interval is longer than the rest of the day time... so in order to settle down, beastfed babies may latch and suckle for hours, and will cry if removed from the breast. My baby did the same, and would only be okay to be transferred to the cot if I unlatched her after the sky was dark. I stuck it out when she was younger. Then later we worked out her awake intervals and also sleep trained her after 4.5 months. So I’ve finally overcome this issue 😅

Read more
Super Mum

It's very common for babies to get super cranky when night time comes and he will want to latch for comfort. Try side latching if you can to make yourself more comfortable, I can side latch and just use my phone for 2 hours easily haha. Hang in there it should get better around 3-4 months!

VIP Member

Just find a good position for yourself to bf. Watch tv or play hp while bf. Will feel time pass faster and not so bored or tired. JIAYOU!